Dog mess... what to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrebeiro, Apr 7, 2001.

1. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

Hey a reply to another thread got me thinking.... What do you guys do when you encounter a yard with dog poop all over. I make the customers clean it and if they don't I come back at a later date after it's clean. Anyone bunking up their mowers by just going right over it? I'd be worried about it hitting the blades and shooting out right on to the siding of the house... or even worse on me or one of my workers.

Any thoughts?

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Come to think of it, not too many of my customers have dogs. And most of the lawns I cut are commercial accounts. If I did see some poo, I'd just ride right over it. I don't like getting off of the ZTR!

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Drive thru.......splat....

5. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

The accounts who have with dogs also only have small lawns. The worst one - I visit once each 2 weeks - those poor Labradors (walking around in 2 wks worth of dogs**t). So I charge an extra 5 bucks a visit (for the time it takes one of my guys to clean it with a shovel & throw it in their garbage can).

Many of my accts have parking strips (downtown Huntington Beach), and while their is a "dog-litter" ordinance, on some streets you would never know it! I always try to scoop it, where practical, otherwise it makes a dirtysmelly mess with my 21" deck (I bag all my clippings... ugh).

Once or twice I've politely confronted dog owners who have left their dog's load behind "Excuse me - do you know it's both against the law, and socially impolite to leave your dog's mess on your neighbor's lawn?"

They just looked at me and scowled - but I felt better.

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one customer left, who always has land mines (dog crap) in his yard. He is such a good customer, that I tend to overlook this. Probally stupid on my part, but that's just me. He's getting ready to go into the hosp. for surgery and called to tell me he was sending my check for lawncare out because he wouldn't be home for a few days. He never argues about the cost of anything I do. For people like this I don't mind doing little extras.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I guess we can start asking potential clients if they own dogs and if so "just say no"!

I guess I would lose a few accounts!

If I splatter it on their house so what, it was theirs to begin with and it should have been picked up. If I see it in time there will be little patches of grass sticking where the weedeater just didn't seem to get it. If they complain then they will be told I smell bad enough at the end of a long hot day and I don't need to smell any worse because of their dog skit and I ain't gonna smell up my truck because of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other than that I run over it and collect my money.

8. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I got rid of those type accounts a few years ago. I got tired of smelling like dog poo! I also got tired of tracking it into my own house at the end of the day when I did not notice it soon enough.

I looked at a yard a few years back as well with big dog piles everywhere. It was about a $35.00 yard. If I recall right I told the guy $85.00 a cut. He liked to poo himself. I explained that there was way too much dog poo in the backyard and that if not for the dog poo it would be $35.00 a cut. He tried the old, "we will clean it up and keep the dog over here in this other fenced in area which you do not have to mow", line.

I heard that old line with the ones I just got rid of earlier that spring. They never did it, why would this guy! I said no price drop with all the droppings!

9. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

Imagine this...a lttle old lady with a german shepard police dog... This dog towers over me. The woman is partially deaf... The dog guards the fence to the backyard and can't even be bribed with a whopper from burger king... You can see where I am going with this... I pound on the door for her to put the dog away, after 15 minutes of pounding she finally tries to get the dog in the house. By now the dog is obsessed with eating me for dinner and ignores the little old lady.. It breaks my heart to drive away with her lawn half done!! :(

10. plow kid

plow kid Banned

Schitt Happens ;)