1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dog poo

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Poncho25, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Well Need some of your opinions on this, I have no issue with people not cleaning up their dogs messes in back yards, most of the time I just wash it off before I load it onto my trailer, I have an enclosed trailer so in the heat of Fla leaving that stuff tends to get rancid after a while....anyway, I have this one client that has a small back yard, not that small but the gate is to small for any of my big equipment so have to use my 21'' mower, she has 3 dogs and doesn't clean up after any of them...toys, dog doo, holes that are over 12'' deep that they dug and what not....I am almost at the point to tell her that I refuse to do her back yard until she cleans up after them and picks up the dog toys and poo. What would you all do? I mean every week I do her place I spend about 20 min after cleaning my shoes and my equipment...not to mention that weedwacking the fence line back there is a nightmare......can't tell you how many times dung got flung on me because of this and I have to change clothes.....thoughts?
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Ponch. I had a customer a few years ago like that. My very first time cutting, I went into the back yard to do the trimming. What do ya know"SPLATT" right in the chin.. I said nope no more. I left the yard the way it was. Finished the front. Went to my truck and wrote them a nice little note. Telling them, that i "will not" mow or trim the back yard untill the dog toys and the dog **** is removed. If you would like me to remove the dog ****, I charge $50 per visit.

Beleive it or not, they called me and told me to bill them for the poop picking up. After that 1 bill, there yard was pretty clean there after.

So yes either go to the door, call or write a letter asking to clean everything up. Offer to do the work for a small fee($50). If not, DROP her.
  3. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

It should be in your contract that dog poop or toys left in the yard = $1 per scoop to pick up. Some on this site wont do it but it equals more than $1 per minute which is the goal with yard care. If you are to high and mighty to clean it, drop her. Someone else will come along that cares about their yard and is willing to pay for quality services.
  4. Poncho25

1st off i am far from high an mighty, but I am sick of getting hit with it, and having to clean it up, keep in mind this is just not one dog, but 3 dogs, and they are not lap dogs either.
  5. Poncho25

Yeah I am thinking of writing them a letter stating that, but wanted to see if others also fell into that area before and how they dealt with it. I have a aust Shep myself that I clean up usually every 2 to 3 days, just cause I don't want my kids stepping in it...didn't think it would be to much to ask them to do the same esp cause of having 3 dogs! thx chad!! Btw hows your season going?
  6. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Somtimes ya just got to walk away from these types of accounts, NOW THAT you have a descent client base.
  7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut one small back yard...with doo doo everywhere. They pay twice as much as I would charge for this type yard. Works for them...works for me. Oh.. and I prefer to mulch the doo doo. I think Soundgarden said it best "The grass is always growing (or greener?) where the dogs are sh******"
  8. MO TOYS

MO TOYS LawnSite Member

It is actually hilarious that there is a thread on this i was wondering the other day how you guy deal with it lol. I especially hate it when you are driving the zero turn to the trailor and didnt know that it was on the tires until you hit the pavemnet and it starts to fly 6 feet in the air lol its horrible then my trailor stinks because its enclosed.
  9. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that started paying for dog waste removal this season and no matter how much I think I scooped it all up before mowing 8 out of 10 times I usually leave with crap on my boots, tire or the under deck
  10. GearHead_1

GearHead_1 LawnSite Member
    from Utah

My son (15 year old) has a small yard care service. He mows about 25 yards a week. He too found himself in this situation. We spoke to the home owner and discussed our concern. He indicated that it would be cleaned the day of his service. The very next visit was even worse than the first couple of times. We tried multiple times to speak with the owner after our original discussion, he would neither answer the door, phone or return phone messages. We sent him a letter once again stating our concern and soon to be position. We arrived again on his scheduled day and the problem was the same (seriously as many as 50 piles). We left him a note and told him that this would be our last time servicing his lawn. That was the end of it. The work is hard there is no reason it has to be disgusting.

I used to turn wrenches in the automotive industry. We had a farmer bring his farm truck in that had the under carriage and suspension covered in horse manure. We simply refused service to the vehicle until he ran it through a car wash and corrected the situation. He actually said he hadn't considered the problem, corrected it and was a great customer. Sometimes people just need a little wake up call and sometimes it isn't worth wasting your breath. You never know which it will be until you talk with them.