Dog Poop

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Pet Butler-Jacksonville, May 1, 2006.

1. Pet Butler-Jacksonville

Pet Butler-Jacksonville LawnSite Member

your thoughts on hiring a Pet Waste Cleanup Service for your customers. Make them happy, plus lessen the probability of stepping in it and cleaning your equipment. I opened in Jacksonville, FL in February and have had lawn guys literally stop me in the middle of the road complaining about dog poop in customers yards and on their mowers. let me know your thoughts on working together!!! I AM SURE WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER!!
  2. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

how do you charge for the service? per pile? per yard? per hour? flat fee no matter how much?
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I refuse to work for someone who does not clean up after their pet so about the only thing bothers me is the occasional carcass of an animal who just had to pick my customer's yard to pass off its last breath. I don't run into it much, but dead animals have a way of getting to me.
  4. Burch's Lawn Care  LLC

Burch's Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Member

5 dollar clean up fee
  5. PMG

PMG LawnSite Member

When I started to run into more and more dog crap, I sent out a letter to each one of my customers. I advised them that if they own a pet and do not clean up prior to my arrival and according to the schedule I send out monthly they would incur a fee, this fee was based on the amount of time I wasted cleaning it up but had a minimum charge of 2 hours at 55.00/hr.

From that point on, I have had to clean 2 times, took me about 15 minutes each time and I made money...well to be honest, I didn't do the cleaning it was one of my staff, but I still made money.

I would not hire a service to do the cleaning, if I can do it and make money. I would however refer the service to my customers as a value add, they can pay the bill if they want the service
  6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Professional pooper scoopers charge about 12 dollars a week and 5 dollars extra per extra dog.
  7. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

Thats an extra 15 to 20 a week you could be billing them. i might have to think about this one. I would definatley have them have a trash can and scooper for me thought. Ill just pick it up and they can empty the can. Right now i just run it over with out my tires hitting it if i see it. If they complain then i will make up something to charge them.
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

If they came to my house once a week, our yard would be a mess, our yard gets cleaned of its dog crap from our dog a minimum of once per day. If you hired the professional service, what if they came the day after you mow, in order for it to be effective you would have to some how coorinate with them on when they should do particular yards.
  9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

You must have a team of sled dogs. MUSH!