1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dog poop

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

for the first time in my life, i had a new customer request mowing, and a fert program, and.....weekly dog poop removal. huge german sheppard, who apparently eats very well. ive never done this, dont know what to charge, my helper did it one time, got half thru, handed me the shovel, and said no way, he aint doin it. actually, it really doesnt bother me to do it myself, i just dont know how to charge. any of u folks experience this? how much?
  2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder how much fertlizer value Doggiedo has you could start a new business lol. Serious though I have know idea.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I cleaned up a yard just today! I used my boots and the wheels of my walk-behind to do it!!!!! The neighbor of one of my accounts just got a new big dog a week ago....and guess where it is doing all of it's business. :mad: I never had anyone "ask" me to clean that stuff, but I would definately charge a premium price for that!
  4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Do "High lift" blades take care of poo? Maybe you can just bag the yard if it does?
    Charge extra without really doing much more work (besides bagging if you dont already)
  5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

If some body were to ask me to clean it up I would/will tell them they don't have enough money to pay me for that.

Seriously charge enough to get a house/truck payment out of the deal every month. Better yet every week.

I used to be real PICKY about it, any more it isn't worth the hassle. Mow over it. Mulch it up, it has a wonderful smell. :D
  6. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Walker GHS,so dog **** is not a problem for me. Fan just
    sucks it up. Gotta love the smell you can just about taste it. :D
  7. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

scott you may laugh, but im currently working on a"custom" mixture for a new soil conditioner that will contain rhinoceros doo from your north carolina zoo.
  8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

One day last year, I finished up my own lawn when my neighbor across the street was just getting started. He waited a little long to do the first cut and it was high so I just gassed up and rode over to help him. We were following each other and he was about 15-20 yards behind me when I ran upon a dead cat, it was decomposing badly. I stopped and shouted at him about it thinking he would mow around it like I did. No, this ____head ran right over it. That's the only time I've thrown up while riding my mower. Yes, the expletive deleted you're thinking of is correct! Dog poo is bad, but I always compare it to that cat.
  9. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Dropped one customer one time because of it (we didn't like her much anyway -- very bad customer). So we used it as an excuse. She had three dogs and never cleaned up her little mobile home park backyard. It was terrible.

Now, we just mulch it with the rest of the grass. We feel that if the customer wants it cleaned up, they need to do it (we have some who do clean it up). We have had some customers ask us when we started what day we were coming out so that they could have it cleaned up by then. Otherwise, we mulch it in and hose off our tires before we go to the next yard. We have never had a request to clean it up, but I don't think we would do it if asked. We carry so many customers that we don't have time to stop and do that type of work anyway.

But, sounds like you don't mind doing it, so I'd charge at least $40/hour for it (you are not using gas, equipment etc... but you are spending your time there). If it takes you 1/2 hour, tack $20 onto each bill. If someone asks us to weed or pick up excessive debris out of the yard, we charge $25/hour.

We were doing a large field one day (tall, but thin grass) and ran over a dead cat (didn't see until too late) -- Tony, you are right -- there is NOTHING worse!!! It took us forever to get the smell out of our mower and out of our minds!!!
  10. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

Your misssing an easy money making opportunity if you don't offer this service for your customers. I generally charge $6 extra for one dog and $2 for each dog thereafter. If it's a real big area that I have to do I will charge more. About 75% of my customers that have dogs have us pick up after them. It only takes a few minutes and it's better than stepping in it or running it over and having your mower smell all the time. I think running the stuff over is sicker than picking it up. Also, if your not picking it up and your weedeating and you didn't see that little pile... well you know what happens, then you smell like dog poop the rest of the day.

Get out your little bucket, line it with a plastic bag and pick it up. For about five minutes of work your get an extra $6. That's $72 per hour.

I got an account last week specifically becasue we are willing to pick up after her dog. She had called around and none of the other lawn guys would pick the stuff up when they mowed.
    One other thing, big dogs are easier to pick up after than those little yipper dogs. I may start charging $8 for the little dogs because it's harder to find their waste.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.