dog poop

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ryanc, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanc

ryanc LawnSite Member

we had this customer for 2yrs he always paid on time and was nice. He has a decent size fenced in yard and there is dog poop EVERWHERE. Last time I counted 36 piles and 10 of those where fresh. I have no choice but to run them over with the mower. Then the mower is full of poop and my boots are too. Trust me this guy isn't the type that would go out and pick it up. Should I charge him more? Or bite my tongue?

2. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Charge the heck out of him or drop him. Why work in crap if you don't have to. Or charge more and pick it up before hand
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

if you can stand it, drop them. what i do with these people that leave their dog poop in the yard, dog toys, childrens toys, water hoses, and things like that is I ask them once or twice to pick it up, then after that if it continues, I fire them. I got better stuff to do than pick up that crap.

Remember, your a lawn service, not a maid service. Customers can sometimes get us confused and think that we are a "clean up crew". No, we show up and mow the grass and clean up clippings, limbs, moss and sticks. Not toys, mcdonalds bags, beer cans and what not. You need to remind people that sometimes.

4. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

is the whole yard fenced in? i had a property like this a few years ago about 1/2 the yard was fenced in i would come and mow the non-fenced in 1/2 and go it only took 2 mowings for them to figure it out after that they picked it up every week before i got there. i have read different guys on LS that said they would mow around the piles and leave the grass grow around it that would get the point across also

5. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I've encountered that a few times over the years. I keep plastic grocery bags in the truck for this reason. It doesn't bother me at all to pick it up and add a charge to the bill. One or two I don't mind. When it gets to more than that I'll charge $15. For 30 dumps I'd charge $25 - they'll start picking it up. I'm the same way with debris such as trash or tree limbs.

6. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

no way am I picking up a clients dog crap, if its the odd pile I will try and mow around it, if its a mine field its not getting cut, nothing worse than a mower and trailer smelling like dog crap all day

7. Lower the deck a little and when you run over them, aim the mower at certain things around the place so It splatters them good, might as well have fun with it.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

just mow over the piles of crap but straddle it so the poop goes between your rear tires. as long as you don't get it on your tires you're ok and it won't smell all day long. if you get it in the tires is sticks in there and stinks all day. :laugh:

9. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

won't do it, I would let them know it needs to be picked up or you won't mow.

10. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

LMAO:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.