1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dog poop

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ryanc, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I just read the whole thread...and posted MY question...as well as MY solution to a small backyard. Have another beer, dude/mam.
  2. MTenterprises

MTenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Cheers! :drinkup:
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

you just straddle rogue piles. Piles everywhere, that is another story....
  5. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

I'm seeing a lot of very unprofessional posts about a fairly common issue in our business. First, intentionally damaging another person's property is criminal misconduct at worst and inexcusable business misconduct at best; don't do it. Either accept the job and charge appropriately for it or decline the job. But be professional.

Our general policy is to decline to cut yards that have more than an occasional pile of poop, such as yards where a dog is kept penned. I just won't make the guys run over poop that messes up the mowers and subjects them to the smell and to slung poop. While we may remove an occasional pile in a yard that is normally not poop-filled, we will not offer to clean up a poop-infested yard. That's just not what we are there to do. Whatever your policy, explain it professionally to the property owner and either reach an accommodation or decline the business. If you want to be treated like a professional, act like one.
  6. DaveyBlue32

DaveyBlue32 LawnSite Member

I pick up paper and cans and mow right over the dog poo...they have a hose for your boots... The deck gets clean on the next lawn, I'm usually running with the weefwacker...then whaap! Some fresh stuff, I whip it off and spit it out and move on! Get'er done!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

WTF :laugh: :dizzy:

The one customer that got dogs hired a pooper scooper guy from town after I told him I don't like my trailer and garage smelling like his dog poop with a smile on my face.
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Poo jobs pay better no body wants do them
    I went to a pre bid meeting and there was 3 LCO there on a complex and they don't make ppl pick up there poo.
    During walk around 2 LCO walk off said they are not going mow the poo
    So I set my price high and I am mowing poo. City folks cant take poo. I like big poo mower will spread it. The little poo is a pain just sits there unless I cut it below 2''
  9. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

I've cut a dog park off and on for several years. The committee meets, they decide they want to save money, I'm fired. Soon as the thermometer goes up, brand X quits, or only does part, I get the call again. They asked me to bid again this year. Some low baller got it...again. I have no interest in doing it cheap. Either they pay me well to deal with their poo, or I'll gladly sit it out. Every single time it requires a HUGE clean up. If they call me back again, I'm charging per pound for poo. You want to lower your costs huh? I'm not exaggerating to say one clean up was over 50 lbs. what's a fair price per lb.?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Take the 50lbs give it to the committee ask them
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.