Dog Spots

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by firedude26, Jun 1, 2008.

1. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

have a customer that has a female lab,they have yellow spots from the dog. i did apply lime to the yard to help a bit with this, now she wants to know if there is anything they or i can do to help this. other than get rid of dog. how often can lime be applied?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Go to the local pet supply store, and there are various products for this that are completely effective. These used to be available only through veterinarians, but are also available over the counter, now. These come in different forms. A common one is cookies that the dogs eat (they love them). Another is a liquid that you put in the dogs water. These products are perfectly safe for the dogs, and cause no harm (many people wonder about long term effects on liver and/or kidneys), but again, these are perfectly safe for pets. Another remedy is to just keep the lawn sprayed off with a hose where the dog urinates, diluting the urine. The con to that is, that you don't always know where the dog goes.
    I did see you mentioned that she has a female dog. Just a bit of info (in case you didn't already know). There was always a false belief that female dogs do more damage to turf because of their urine and it's acidity. Actually, this is only half true. The females DO do more damage, but not because of the acidity level. It is because of their mannerisms when they urinate. When a female dog urinates, she squats - thus putting more urine into a higher concentrated area. When a male urinates, he lifts his leg, and sprays it out lighter - over a wider area, moving around.

3. firedude26

from Mich

great info, thanks

4. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

I read on another post the other day that if you put tomato juice in their water every now and them that it would help with this, not sure if it works or not but the poster said they had been doing it for some time and it worked great.

5. mnturfmaster

mnturfmaster LawnSite Member

Tell the client to follow the dog around with a garden hose and drench out the area where the dog pee's. That is probably the best solution

6. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, lime is usually a great idea for dog damage. that tends to clear it right up.

7. firedude26

from Mich

yeah i dont think they have that kind of time to watch the dog pee, lol

8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Frankly, I have heard of many "cures" for this, but never actually saw any of these dog biscuit or tomato juice fixes work. I've tried them myself, with two females.... what was it PT Barnum used to say?

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Switch to organic ferts and use a handful of sugar on the spots, clears up in about a week , sooner if you catch the spot when it starts to turn,

10. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Believe it or not, universities have done research on this problem and have found the problem to be excess nitrogen from the dog pee. Squatters are the worst as they concentrate it in one area. The only thing that works is washing the area down with water or training the dog to pee in one area, preferably one with gravel instead of grass.