1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dog Urine Damage

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I've stuggled with this for years now....

Every Spring there are large areas of dead turf because of 5 months of urination there...
    Every Spring I overseed and spend the season trying to stay ahead of the game...

What has anyone out there learned about dog urine damage that has actually helped??? :)

2. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

I have our dogs "go" in a common area, not in my lawn. If I had to have them go in our yard it would not be a grassed area. It would be mulched or some other material even fake grass that would be fenced off or other.

Probably not quite the info you are looking for but after tons of research I do not think there is an option. Only thing is to water the spots down after they go, not very practical.

3. Smallaxe

I agree with you... Now if my clients would be willing to give up, "The Best of Both Worlds", I'd be set to go...

I've had moderate success, doing a number of different things, but it's not perfect yet... so a couple of new ideas would be helpful...

It is kind of a fun research project, that I'm getting paid, quite well, to conduct... :)

4. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that male dogs are MUCH less damaging to the lawn than females. Had a female for 13 years, lawn looked like **** in that "area". They always squat...on the lawn every single time.

Have a male now, and he just pisses on vertical objects in the yard and keeps the lawn pissing to a minimum. Whether it be the fence, or the support post holding up my roof over the patio is is hardly ever on the lawn.

5. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

6. crazymike

from Ontario

I don't think letting your dogs pee on fake grass would be a very good decision...

they probably wouldn't like it, because it would most likely splash up on them
    and it would really stink after about a week

7. crazymike

from Ontario

I should mention, you can get dog sprays/soil amendmants that have a green dye in them that covers the spot with green while the nutrients adjust the soil content.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You need a big bucket of pre-germinated perennial ryegrass seed. Add some annual rye if you want for faster germination. Get one of the types that have a large seed size as they come up fast. Just sprinkle seed on the spots as they appear. Use plenty of seed--seed is cheaper than labor in a situation like this. Let the customer rake it in if he has time. A 5 gal bucket of topsoil can be used to sprinkle a bit of soil on top to help get good seed to soil contact--not really needed if you use an excess of seed. Naturally, a sprinkling system or at least a sprinkler timer will keep the grass more green and thick and help that new seed come up and fill in.

Naturally if you intended to make money on this you should include a product that claims to help or neutralize the problem--I don't think any of them actually do much--but its worth a shot. Mix it with the special seed you supplied, and charge an arm and a leg for your trouble, (and the cleaning of your boots.)

Naturally you can resod the spots. Cut them out square, and patch with a 12 inch square of sod. Quick, easy and looks nice--but you may need to keep some sod on hand, if there is no convenient supply. Charge big bucks and with a bit of experience and a sod tool, you can do a spot in 60 seconds.

9. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

10. Smallaxe

Thanks for the reminder Riggle...

I was going to replicate your experiment(for this very purpose) in which you pre-soaked the seed and dried it out again before planting... Is that correct?

As I recall your best results were from a 72 hour soak... How am I doing so far?