1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dog urine spots

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by formerscrub, Feb 19, 2002.

1. formerscrub

formerscrub LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Although I dont apply fertilizer one of my accounts that I cut has a problem with brown spots in his yard. Its appears to be only in the area that his dog(rather large breed)likes to urinate in. He has tried to over apply the fertilizer(which I told him wasnt good)but it doesnt do any good cause the grass is still brown.
    Does anyone have any suggestions that I could relay to my customer to help with this problem
  2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Shoot the dog! LOL. Find the answers here: <a href="http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/dog_lawn_problems.html">DOG-ON-IT LAWN PROBLEMS</a>

Copy that and print it out for your client. Learn it yourself, so whenever you are questioned about what to do (after you give this to any client to read first), you know the answers. Most practical solution is to teach dog to use a special area for its potty area.

And on fixin' the grass: it will usually fix itself in a couple of months, after the dog is properly trained or confined.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

A while back, this came up and someone got a tip from a vet and claims it works. They said to put 2 tablespoons of tomato juice on their food.
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Read the above document. Tomato juice is treated in that article. Don't base your business on old wives tales or urban legends. Lots of vets will give crazy advice like this to let the pet owner think that he has some other recourse than training his pet properly (vet knows lazy people won't listen to reality). LOL.
  5. fshrdan

fshrdan LawnSite Member

Irrigate the area heavily to try to dilute the N rich dog urine in the soil solution. Hopefully that'll make those brown spots just appear extra green instead. Also unattractive, but the lesser of 2 evils.
  6. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Personal experience with my own dog, I found that if I watered the favored area it would reduce the burn. That worked until she started going in a different area of the yard. For those that we didn't catch we just seeded. It's just a benefit of dog ownership.
  7. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Those two posts are very helpful and I will use them for customers. Thanks