Dog waste

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mwells7, May 19, 2008.

1. mwells7

mwells7 LawnSite Member

Excuse the language guys but i have a really big problem. what should i do about a high paying customer who doesn't clean up the **** after his dog. man i tell you there piles of **** after ****. excuse the language again. i don't want to drop him because he pays big money. should i tell him that i wont do his property if doesn't clean up after his dogs or what? i'm stuck in a pile of ****- literally

2. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

If he's got lots of money and likes paying, maybe you could charge him extra to clean it. Around here the going rate for that service is... I THINK, $10 a week for one dog $15 a week for two dogs. I don't do this but if there was a lot of money at stake. One thing for sure I don't like getting that crap on my tires or dodging while I weed wack etc. If he wouldn't pay extra for cleaning or if he won't clean it himself and I couldn't avoid it I would seriously consider dropping him with a notice.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you could do what Bill says and clean the poop - but we are in the green business not the brown poop business.

I would call him or talk in person straight up. Advise you like him as a customer, but you do not want to plow through dog manure. Advise he must clean up reasonably on future visits, or there will be a 'poop surcharge' for each future cut in which the crap is thick.
    I would bet this guy doesn't even think about you and the stuff your running through. Make him think about it, politely at first of course;)

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

charge him more!!!!!!!

5. deyoe1118

deyoe1118 LawnSite Member

I spoke to one of my clients about it...they didn't get the hint until I just mowed around it. Left big tufts of grass sticking up everywhere...They learned quick!

6. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

just mow through it and when you are done, hose off your mower in their yard. I do that all the time, and nobody ever says anything....

of course, I do price yards with dog $h it higher then most.....

7. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I don't know....but I just refuse to pick up dog crap, regardless of the situation. I have "big human brain" so why in the world would I want to walk around behind a "little dog brain" and pick up its crap. Its just the principle of it. Pretty soon he'll be driving my truck to work and I'll be out on the leash.

Does anybody remember the days when dogs just did their business wherever they wanted. Then just one day, almost overnight, there were these people out there picking up their dogs doo doo. I was like, "what in the hell is that lady doing? No...no way....hey...come look at this! There is a lady outside picking up her dog's poo and putting it into a bag! Someone quick, get me the camera!"

Then it became an overnight craze. Sorry, but I'm not catching on. I'd mow around it like mentioned above. I mean waaaayyyy around it.

8. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Live with it, and scrape your shoes on his sidewalk.

9. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Charge a poo poo clean up fee, every time you mow.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I mow right over it, but what I hate is the smell when changing blades! I also hate hitting it with the trimmer...it really pisses me off when it slings on my shirt and in my face!