Doggone Hunter AS valves.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Dec 2, 2007.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

This is the second callback I've gotten from this customer about this 1" AS valve. First time the MA wasn't seating and so it was leaking. Client sent me this photo this morning asking that I drop everything and fix it.

This time I'm not sure if it froze or it's a problem with overtightening the MAs. Obvious from the picture there's a split.

It's been dipping down into freezing territory in outlying areas, and no we don't blow our systems around here because we tend to water a little thru the winter when it is less rainy.

But I could have tightened them too much or used too much Teflon tape (6 wraps maybe.)

Now this valve looks a little odd because (1) I had to reinstall it after the first time it leaked, thus the couplings and (2) it had to be raised higher than the Irritrol valves next to it because the valves are halfway down a slope and otherwise it's downhill from the heads it serves. (The other valves are only 4" off the ground, but at least they are watering downhill, not uphill.)

I would have designed the system with an RP and inline valves, but I wasn't called in until 5 years after the original install.

Anyway, two service calls for this piece of **** valve. Someone mentioned something about this problem and how Hunter said to use a different brand of MA... which was that? These are probably Spears judging by my current inventory.

[​IMG]

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Can't get the Irritrol valves?

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Why do people use those valves?

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Cheap and effective. No valve box to dig. Californians don't seem to mind seeing backflow protection.

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

just to play devils advocate, shouldn't they have a dca or pvb for that?

6. Greg I'd use 1" TOE sch 80 and glue into couplings. Spears I think is what Hunter recommends.

7. It already is an AVB.

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

I know that fimco,thanks.

but why the extra avb on a system with backflow protection?

9. It doesn't have backflow prevention. The AVBs are the one and only backflows.

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

lol....so they dont need a backflow on that system cause of the avb valves?