Doggy Poo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ooomwizard, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Does anyone have any issues with mowing over feces? (Let's say a customer has a couple Great Danes in their yard.) What do you do?

Was reading another thread and someone mentioned a clean-up fee for after service equipment wash-down.

Good idea? $$

2. YoungGun

YoungGun LawnSite Member

ya i charge a average of a 5 dollar clean fee. it is just crappy because it makes your stuff smell and the lawn can get smears and look bad. so ya charge a equipmet cleaning fee

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I always clean up the dog @#$! free for first time new customers. I then show them how much feces I have cleaned "look at this !@#$!", just kidding, no really I ask the customer to clean-up before I mow or next visit I will charge them a extra 25% on their bill, usually they pay it, lazy folks. Everyone has a price to clean-up poop, this is really an add on service for us lots of money in dog poop.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

poo shoes.................I don't know what to say.........

5. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

that's why i wear slick soled boots.

6. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping LawnSite Member

Don't want anything to do with Dog Poo. Makes a mess. I used Mow Dog Poo Lawns when I first started around 10 years ago, then got tired of cleaning up the mess.
    Some people don't like cleaning it up at all, thinks it is great fert. Just leaves a mess under your deck, on your tires, then gets on your trailer.

7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i hate it,but have to deal with it i guess

8. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I've been trying to figure out a good way to market this as an add on for new clients. If many are willing to pay the extra 25% after the fact why not offer it as a clean up service up front? Have you had much success with that approach? For this year when doing estimates if I see they have dogs or any evidence of $#it in the grass I will either offer the pick up service as a pre mow pick up or price it in conjunction with mowing. If you see a fair amount piled up on an estime then you will probably see that much if not more when you mow.

This topic has been discussed several times here and frankly I'm a bit surprised that so many posters here are vehemently against picking it up before mowing but are perfectly content with charging an equipment clean up fee after the mowing is over. It's not like you have to swap out bed pans in a nursing home or change grandpa's depends but regardless several poster here have gotten real uppity when this topic is mentioned. :laugh: I have an enclosed trailer and that is one less smell I'd rather not have to tolerate until I hose off the mower @ home.

One former very short term client from last year kept 2 dogs with heavily matted hair in a small kennel with $#it covering every corner of the kennel and it was even in the dog bowl. I lost a ton of respect for these people. Respected and well liked in the community. I'm glad that is over but I really felt bad for the dogs. My dogs get the red carpet treament with full acces teh the house via the dog door and the yard is piked up at least once if not twice a day.

9. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

I ran over a hamburger and fries last week at a commercial property last week. Smell lasted about 2 days but disappeared. Good thing we're mostly commercial.

10. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

My brother has a lawn care business in NW Arkansas. He actually sells pet waste removal as a service. He has around 50 yards and about half of his customers pay extra for pet waste removal.

He also has several customers who mow themselves, but pay him to come by once weekly and clean their yard. It takes 10 min to walk the property and he makes $10. He takes jobs along roads he frequents and stops when he goes by. Not out of the way at all.

He checked with the county extension office and they said it was ok to dump the crap in his apartment dumpster (especially if it was already bagged).

Some of you may consider adding a new service. Now is the time. He made a brochure describing all his services and put some of the bacteria that could be present in dog feces. Most customers, especially those with kids that play outside didn't have a clue and pay him $40 a month to keep their yard cleaned up.