1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dogs Destroyed Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fairways, Apr 2, 2005.

1. fairways

fairways LawnSite Member

I had a lady today wanting me to something with her back yard where her two dogs had destroyed it. There is grass, but there are paths that you can see where the dogs run and it is down to dirt. Should I aerate the yard and overseed? Give me some suggestions
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

The dogs will just continue to destroy it.If she wants a nice lawn she will have to put the dogs elseware or put the lawn elseware and make that area a dog area only with a patch of lawn mabey and the rest dirt or mulch.
  3. fairways

fairways LawnSite Member

actually the dogs are gone now, both got out and where hit by a car, so the dog are not the problem anymore, any suggestion on the best way to fix her lawn
  4. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

prep the ground, add topsoil if needed and sod the area.
  5. slow release

slow release LawnSite Member

Aerate several times to really loosen the soil then slice seed or broadcast seed and rake/roll. Apply some starter fertilizer,.....water,water,water payup
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We had a similar call two weeks ago. This lady has 3 large breed dogs, and they were just brutal on the front lawn( 22X40'). She was interested in synthetic turf, and that's all she wanted to hear about. So, I sold my first synthetic lawn install in Morgantown this week. We could have fixed the rutting and dead lawn area, but it would be in constant need of repair due to the dogs. Now she will have one install, and not have to deal with it the rest of her life.