Dogs digging in flower beds

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cajuncutters, Mar 6, 2007.

1. cajuncutters

cajuncutters LawnSite Member

I will be putting mulch down thursday at a property and trying to figure out what to put down to keep the dogs from digging in the flower beds. Any ideas out there.
  2. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

Thumb tacks work well
    look at the invisible fence, shocks the dogs and they learn to
    stay out!
  3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

what about a product like chicken wire. lay it down like weed fabric. Just make sure the kids have tetanus shots. They use a similar product just below grade along fences and decks to keep dogs and other unwanted animals out.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I never figured this one out, but dogs like to come around and start sniffing then chomping at the mulch (yuck) especially when it first goes down.
    I usually shoo them away for some time, I've never had the customers say much to me afterwards, I suspect they just kinda scold the dog until the behaviour stops, but if you find an easy solution it'd be great to find out what it is.

Whatever you do, it should be non-lethal or not harmful to the animal, I was thinking perhaps there is a spray or a neutral chemical (such as lime) but I'm still not exactly sure about it, for one you can't put the lime on top of the mulch, and what would work and whether it does...
  5. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Use Mothballs. We use them to keep deer out of the beds.
  6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

When my dog was digging holes, we filled them with some REALLY hot peppers and then refilled his favorite spots to dig with dirt. Dont know if it worked or if he just grew up a little but he stopped digging...dont know if this would work for a large area but maybe for a small mulch area...?