Dogs digging up the Lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jr., Oct 15, 2005.

1. Jr.

Jr. LawnSite Member

I have 2 seperate customers who have dogs that are going crazy digging up the lawn in diffrent places at random. It seems that they are looking for something rather than just digging. Could they be smelling grubs worms? This was my first thought but the lawns do not really show any signs of any grub worms or at least not any severe signs. We have been in a drought situation here lately.
    Anyone have any clues? Also, I know the dogs are doing it becouse I have seen them. It has happened about this time of year for the past 2 or three seasons. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What breed of dogs are they. Some dogs like to go after moles and other underground creatures. Our mixed lab/bird dog digs for mole all th time and other times just dig for who knows what reason.

Here is something from the internet

"Dogs need to dig! There are a dozen good canine reasons for digging: digging warming pits and cooling hollows, excavating feline feces, grubs, roots and rodents, digging to escape, digging out of boredom, digging for fun, and of course, the quintessential canine bona fide reason – burying bones and then, digging them up again!

Also, please bear in mind; many dogs dig from boredom of their solitary confinement in the backyard because the owner dare not leave the dog indoors. Often house training and chew toy training offer simple solutions to digging and barking problems."

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Your customers need to make a choice... Dogs OR a nice lawn. Granted, not all dogs dig, and generally even the ones that do now may grow out of it as they get older. There is no way to stop them, unless they want to leave the dogs indoors all the time or in a concrete kennel, which I feel is horrible...

4. Jr.

Jr. LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies fellas. What puzzles me is that the dogs only tend to dig this time of the year. Since I visit these properties on a weekly basis I pretty much know what goes on. Also, I failed to mention that I visited one of my properties that does not have dogs and the front lawn was torn up in the same manner. I actually thought that they had started to aerate but upon further inspection, I found that the places torn up were randomly found throughout the lawn by an animal of some type. Agian, no earlier signs of disease or insect damage just typical drought effects.
    I would take some photos but I have since aeravated and torn up the areas in question. Maybe I am just going crazy but I just want to make sure its not a sign of grubs or something.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking little spots maybe a couple inches around at most? Sounds like SKUNKS. THey do get bad this time of year searching for food. Mostly grubs... you don't have to have an infestation of grubs to have a skunk problem. Iv'e seen perfeclty healthy lawns torn to shreads by skunks, I looked and never found more than one grub in a given spot. There are always going to be a few grubs around, wether you have treated for them or not, and hungry skunks are going to dig in lawns because this is where the ground is usually softest from irrigation and hence, where their food is.

Iv'e heard that mothballs scattered around will keep them out.

6. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

armadilos!!!!!!!!!!!!!they are searching for Grubs.....very active and destructive this time of the year.