Dogs in back yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Feb 13, 2003.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Im raising my price on this customer this year. He has two small yappy dogs he lets run in his back yard. They dont bite, but try to get out when we open the gate. Last fall one got out and ran down the street. If it wasnt for this girl grabbing it, I dont know if we ever would have gotten his dog back. I've tried calling him and sent him a note in his invoice, but last time we were there nothing different. I would just dump him but I do all his neighbors that are his buddies as well. Do you guys charge extra for this stuff or dump them. How much do dog catchers make any how?:cry:

2. sharpcut

sharpcut LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i have come across this same situation.
    the only thing i would do is don't cut the back yard one time you will get a reaction then !!!
    just tell him that you don't want the responsibility of losing one of his dogs , he should understand this and start working with you . but not mowing will get him to call back faster than writing him a letter

3. pjslawncare/landscap

Good point Sharpcut, I think I'll try that.

4. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Get rid of that account, If one of those dogs gets out and gets hit by a car... you could get sued and you might find yourself working for someone else.

5. pjslawncare/landscap

In what way could I get sued? I dont beleive that I would be neglegent or would I be. Wouldnt the home owner be at least partially responsible for the conditions he created knowing a service provider would have to enter his back yard. I do think I will dump him if he cant do something with his dogs however.

6. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

If you have enough time in your scheduale to chase dogs down , I would say keep the account.

7. sharpcut

sharpcut LawnSite Member
    from ohio

you can be held responsible I'm afraid. i hate dumping accounts though moneys money ...does this guy work when you service the lawn? maybe you can hit his lawn later on in the evening to make sure hes home .

8. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that has a 90lb. golden retriever, Rosie. When I did the estimate for fall cleanup, she kept jumping up on me and the lady of the house. I wondered the same thing as you, is it worth it. Later, doing the fall cleanup a helper was opening the gate and Rosie hit it at full speed, knocking him flat on his rear, running down the drive. He jumped up and yelled for me to go get her. So what? I was billing by time and the customers weren't at home. So I figured we had better get that dog back ASAP and not say anything about it. She took off down the street. This is a very exclusive neiborhood of the estate variety, where neighbors look out for one another, and some dogs just wander from one 3 acre estate to another. I knew she wouldn't run far, we just kept her in our sights. Soon she treed a squirrel, barking and stretched out amost her entire length, with her front paws up the tree. I squatted and called her name playfully, hoping she would come. Come Rosed did, and at full speed! I braced myself for the impact that never came. She ran right up to me and laid down. I got up to encourage her to follow me back, she rolled over, belly up and would not budge. This was in a neibors front lawn. Since this was just a day or two before Christmas, there were a lot of kids outside and friends and family from out of town, almost all the other neighbors were at home.
    It was about this time I started noticing the people watching. What could I do? I petted the dog and it went limp, like a big ole pillow and would not get up. I dared not drag Rosie by her collar, what would the potential customers say?
    I did the next best thing. I got my friend to help me sling her over my shoulder, and we started walking back. 90 lb. Rosie was happy, barking and licking me. People were laughing and pointing at us as we made out way back to the yard. By that time my customers mother showed up with a Christmas package for her daughter. After putting Rosie up, we took the gift and promised to give it to her when she returned. I sat it inside a screened area and went back to work. Later taking a break, I noticed that the screen porch had been torn, there Rosie was, eating some home made cobbler, packaging strown every where, pictures scattered ect. I just knew I'd get fired.
    When my customer showed up I asked them if they wanted the good news or the bad news first. They expected the worst and when I told them they thought it was the funny. They didn't get mad, instead I got the job of building Rosie a pen so I could put her when I came back, they gave me the contract to do their lawn year round. The man of the house wants me to look at his parents yard to do it, and the neighbor asked me to start taking care of his 3 acres all year long.
    I have a totally different out look today, practicing patience and tolorence. Respecting pets as members of the family and treating them that way. Professional attitudes and taking responsibility and telling the truth no matter what pays off in dividends. Quit crying and accept the inconviences of our job. Don't hustle your customer if bothers you to do his yard, move on. Some one else will take it if you don't want it.
    Back yards are made for kids, family and pets.

9. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Don't sweat the dogs. it's the old ***** in the house that will give you more grief than any dog ever will.

10. MY PUPPY

MY PUPPY LawnSite Member
    from mass.

Captken your right I agree because of my company name I get a lot dog owners and I have chased a few myself , I have two golden retrievers I told customers I have a pen off of my deck for my dogs and have built 4 pens for them.