Dogs in backyards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by huskres, Apr 20, 2008.

1. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

So I just started out this year after being a part timer for a friend last year. Anyways I have a great contract for this one guy but they have two dogs that stay in the back yard. I will be mowing it on Saturday and they actually prefer that since they are at work then. Its only $30 a week but its about 2500 square feet of turf so its a very quick job. I am about to go pick up the check for the mulch job I did for him this weekend. How do I tell them I dont want to mow the backyard (which is only about 10x10) if the dogs are back there? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

i had a customer who kept her dog in the back yard all the time, i simply told her i won't do the back if the dog is in the yard because i dont want the dog to get hurt by anything the mower might throw out or from the trimmer. she said it made sence and agreed to keep the dog in the house until after i left. and by putting it that way you're not Ordering her to put the dog inside, but asking them to put the dog in for the dogs saftey.. and they understand and accept that alot better.. Worked great for me.

3. huskres

Well they are gone for 10 hours on saturdays thats what sucks. For now I mow everything on Saturdays if I can since im still fulltime at my other job. They do have a detacched garage. I might ask if I can just toss the dogs in there with some treats and let them back out. I really want to keep this account since I will be doing other landscaping for him as well.

4. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

that will work if they dont bite you or get free

5. huskres

eh they are fairly small...with my regular job i deal with dogs everyday

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

If the dogs are friendly, I would ask if you can do what you mentioned.

7. coolgreen

coolgreen LawnSite Member

I had to get rid of a great account due to the neighbour's two vicious German shepherds. The one chained to his doghouse actually pulled it about four feet across the yard trying to get at us.

I talked to another neighbour who told me animal control won't do anything about the dogs despite numerous complaint calls.

I've been bitten by a shepherd in the past, and it just wasn't worth the risk to myself or my employees.

8. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

i had a lady last year that told me to open her sliding glass door to her house put them in, and thats when she wasnt even home, i dont know how some people can leave their house wide open to anybody

9. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

I try to avoid properties with dogs. I have one now, and only one, they own 3 dogs and they don't clean up the dog $hit. I've been thinking about culling them out but the $$$ is good. I can't stand that crap on my tires /shoes. I make sure that my helper washes the tires off at their entrance to which they enter their house.

10. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I've had some customer dogs that just lay on a porch and never bother with me and others that I had to ask people to remove when I cut...depends on the dog and where it is when you are mowing. I would never want to injure a dog so you could use that as a reason.