Dogs ruining my grass

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by arrudacruiser1, Apr 9, 2008.

1. arrudacruiser1

arrudacruiser1 LawnSite Member
    from woon ri

Is there any prevention from pets ruining the lawn from urinating. Every where they urinate it ends up killing the grass? Other than watering down the area. Will constantly liming help?
  2. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

1 No
    2 No
    3 No
  3. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I give my dogs tomato juice in their water and it works great, about 2 or 3 times a month sometimes more
  4. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Tomato=Acidic=No Grass
  5. mbucuk

mbucuk LawnSite Member

Anyone have good a solution for establishing and maintaining grass along dog runs, like along an electric fence line?

I have two properties that I picked up this spring where the dog runs back and forth across an electric fence line in the front lawn barking at people walking by. The area basically ends up like a walking path or overused sports field. One property is on a slope, so the soil washes out when it rains, so I want to establish some vegetation in this area.

So am I crazy to even attempt to heavily aerate and overseed these areas? Dog would have to be kept off during establishment, and I'm thinking that on the first really wet day after that the dogs will just rip these areas up again. I guess it has to be treated like an athletic field with constant aeration and overseeding. Both clients have irrigation.

These areas should probably just be mulched or something, but it would be pretty ugly going straight across a lawn.

Let me know if you have dealt with this problem before and what has been successful.

6. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I walked by a neighbor who has this same issue, their solution, 1 row of 12" x 12" pavers.

May not be the healthiest for the dog, but if it crazy enough to be barking at every single thing it sees, I doubt it will notice a hard surface.
  7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard this before - how does it work? Sorry I'm a technical person :hammerhead:
  8. gum gardener

gum gardener LawnSite Member

I have been using this for my dog. It is a supplement she gets twice a day with her food. Usually at the beginning of the season I have to give her 1.5-2 times the recommended dose for a week or two to get her system "cleaned out". I don't use it in the winter. This is my fourth season with it. Obviously this is only appropriate if it is your dog.

If you have a bigger dog, I recommend the extra strength treats, not the tablets, as they are the most cost effective.

There are also other options in the catalog, like peeing posts, to attract your dog to go in a particular area of your yard. I have not used them but may be more effective if you don't own the dog.

I hope this helps! :drinkup:
  9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used Green Ums and have had pretty good results. I have 2 80lb females running around on 1200 square feet. I have also started adding probiotics and seaweed to their food, and humate to their drinking water. I already have noticed breath improvement.
  10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The dog spots come from excess urea that is not metabolised quickly enough before it burns the grass. I have talked with other postings in which dog spot are unheard of. The common denominator was leaving the clippings and moderate or no fertilization.

My theory is - overfertilization to begin with doesn't allow additional N to enter the soil withou killing the grass. This will be tested on one of my clients lawns this year.

Adding a sugar for the bacteria involving the metabolism of dog spots seems to be the preferred product vs. anything else. Give it a try.