Dogs that eat grass-safe to spray?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikesturf, Jul 16, 2006.

1. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Have a potential new lawn fert client with lots of weeds. She says "my dogs like to eat the grass, is it safe for my dogs to eat the grass after you spray". I would be using Speedzone. My gut says pass on this one-PITA? Anyone ever had a situation like this and what did you do?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

About 20 years ago Chemlawn did some experiments on this idea with laboratory dogs. Possibly by Bob Partyka. Dogs wouldn't eat grass--so they pumped lawn solution with Trimec directly into their stomachs. The dog "volunteers" did fine.
    With their sensitive noses i don't see how a dog would eat treated grass.
    If dog ate 1000 square feet of grass--he would still be eating only about an ounce of weed killer.
    Not sure which weed product has lowest toxicity--possibly "Quicksilver". You don't need to use much active ingredient per thousand square feet.

3. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Check the dog grazing interval on the label.:) I know farmers that use 2-4,d and dicamba (2 of the ingredients of Speedzone) with cows in the pasture. I think the grazing interval is 7 days for beef cows, but many do not follow this. Cows are going to eat a lot more grass than that guy's dog.

One the other hand, if that dog dies within the next two years, he is probably going to blame you.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Just tell her not to let the dogs eat grass for a day. I think she could handle that!!! JMO

5. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

Place a sign in the yard stating a pesticide application has been performed (check local requirments for sign size), and place a service ticket that they sign, staing to keep the pets off until dry. If the dogs get sick, without taking these precautions, you will have a hard if not impossible time proving yo uare not responsible for poisoning thier dogs. Thier vet will not look past the pesticide application for a cause as to why the dogs are sink. Been there, done that, signed work order, sign in lawn saved me thousands!

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I would pass on this one.

7. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the replys. I think I will pass this one up. Not worth the extra worry and concern. There are thousands of lawns out there, sometimes you gotta go with your gut.