Dogs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cnymowing, Apr 7, 2007.

1. cnymowing

cnymowing LawnSite Member

does anyone here carry protection from dogs? ie: knife or pepper spray. I have been thinking of possibly carrying something in case one attacks and just wanted to hear people's opinions.

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

always a sharp knife,spyderco,benchmade,crkt,kershaw,coldsteel.

3. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a box of treats for protection. Win their hearts rather than stab them with a knife. You also could be arrested for weilding a knife.:waving:

4. cnymowing

cnymowing LawnSite Member

I'd rather be arrested than mauled... believe me, I love dogs and the protection would be a last resort... but I saw my neighbor get attacked last fall, and I don't want that to be me.
    My only time I was faced with a dog was doing a leaf cleanup last fall... but the blower was enough to scare off that dog.

5. spazfam

spazfam LawnSite Member

Once was chased by a rotty we looked like the stooges running around the truck loading all the equipment in asap ...I held him off with a weed trimmer..a few more steps and my brother would have had to shoot him. Threw the weed trimmer in the back of the truck still running!

6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't carry a knife but I have had to fend one of with a string trimmer, that fu@#er stayed away when I had it spinning at full blast about a foot away from his face. Didn't want to have to use it (and luckily I didn't) but I would have before I let him bite me.

7. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

I carry Felco 2's. That should do.

Seriously, once I was doing a clean up in a very sketchy part of town. The neighbor came out and actually sicked his rottweiller on me. He came tearing out the door and was bearing down on me with the owner standing at the door smiling. Fortunately I was using a string trimmer a the time. I went to WOT and stuck it in the bark dust and shot bark mulch in the dog's face. He turned and went back home with the owner shooting me dirty looks.

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

just so you know, pepper spray usually doesn't affect a dog. i carry freeze +p (deputy sheriff) and i've sprayed one before and it just seemed to make it madder. i have had a dog try and get aggresive with me before while i had my trimmer, a quick, very light blip of the throttle was enough to make him go away.

9. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a porcupine for a pet and bring him to the worksites. This was on the web and supposedly happened in California. A vet sedated the dog, and then removed a total of 1,347 quills. The dog survived. Must have been some vet bill.

pitbull after fight with a porcupine.jpg

10. Beau Rivage

Beau Rivage LawnSite Member

Pits don't give a damn about pepper spray, and I'd hate to have nothing but a line trimmer in my hands if it came down to it. Get yourself a kabar 1271 black fighter. It'll look like the Manson family had been in the front yard.:laugh: