dogs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnman456, Sep 27, 2007.

1. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

what do you put down to get rid of the brown spots that dogs make. they are killing the lawn

thanks for the help

2. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Arsenic-to kill the dog...problem solved:laugh:

But seriously-nothing you can do. Some supposed "cures" , but have been debunked. Keep the dog off the lawn is about it.

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think we talked about this before, but I have witnessed success with Green Ums, which are yucca based treats for dogs. The spots will not clear up overnight, but it will help over time.

4. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Try spreading some Gypsum pellets

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

From what I understand, and I'm sure the chemists on here will set the record straight, is the calcium in the gypsum ties up (or "grabs onto") the sodium (salt) in the soil. When you flush this with water, it helps reduce the sodium concentration in the soil, which is what causes the burn spot. Anybody?

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Any pet store will have little pills or dog treats that supposedly reduce the urine acidity--and eliminate the spots.

However, I really doubt that the treats they work at all.

Reseed the spots--every week.

7. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

from Indiana

8. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

from Indiana

9. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't read the pdf from purdue, but from what I understand of dog spots is that the nitrogen content of dog urine is extremely high. When males urinate, they have a tendency to mark several spots, females on the other hand release their entire bladder in one place, which causes a higher concentration. In my expereince the center of the urine puddle will effect the spot in a way so that it mimics a fertilizer burn with the outer ring of the burn showing significant signs of growth where the urine was less concentrated. The only remedies that I know of is to either change the habits of the dog by having the owner train the animal to urinate in another location, or to follow the dog out and hose down the area after the dog urinates in order to dilute the nitrogen content.

10. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Let the dog use the neighbors lawn