Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SunSwept, Oct 17, 2003.

1. SunSwept

SunSwept LawnSite Member

I was trimming in front of a customer's house today when what should walk around the corner but their dog. This mutt was big, loud and had no intention of taking me home to meet momma. Thankfully, the dog was afraid of the weedeater.

I considered packing up and leaving but I had just started and also had the house next door to do so I just kept working albiet much slower than normal as I kept one eye on the dog.

The customer was not at home but I had their cell phone number on my caller-ID so I called them to tell them what was going on. They were surprised that I had kept on working. I think that I am too as this could have been trouble.

What do the rest of you do when confronted my a not-so-friendly dog?
  2. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

I point my weedeater at em and say......

" you feel lucky?" my very best Clint Eastwood voice of course.

Sorry guys.......couldn't help it. I just got done reading that stupid on HS/HI lawncare.....what a gas!
  3. GardenTech

GardenTech LawnSite Member

"Dogs, Kids, any other Organic Life Forms must remain Inside while we're on the property". We use this as a byline on all of our invoicing...a little humour lightens the message, and the cliet tends to remember the notation. Once had a customer tell me to "just mow around" her 3 yr. old playing in the yard...I simply packed up the gear and left!
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Wouldn't most consider it the smart thing to do, to just pack up and move on until the matter can be settled, contained?
    Even though you may come out as winner (or could be loser) in a contest with an animal, would hate to deal with bloody results (yours or its) which would lead to more problems, more time loss, probable client loss, bad feelings, etc.

Not saying not to defend yourself, that's a different issue.
  5. Lakeview

Lakeview LawnSite Member

I dont know if this would be advisable but most dogs learn from experience that when a person reaches down to the ground they are going to get hit by a hand full of rocks. If you have enough room just reach down like you are going to pick up some rocks and see if you can "psyche" him out.
  6. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

I once had a doberman to escape from his pen while i was mowing in the back yard of a client one memorable day.

Ya know when your mowing a large open lot, and you just get in that zone of back and forth, back and forth cruising.

Well on one of the passes toward the house i see the owner jumping up and down waving his arms and pointing to my left.

So i look over to my side, (and the rest of this story i remember in slow motion) and i see the rather large dog hauling butt in my direction. So i throw the sticks all the way to the front, and did you guys know doberman's can run faster than 10 mph?:cry: :cry:

It's true, most live dogs can run faster than a Lazer Z. With this new information i proceed to jump off the mower ( i'm sure i looked like a one legged man in a azz kicking contest ) and head toward the jungle gym.

Well the dog passes up the mower,.... and passes up the gutless wonder cowering in top of the jungle gym, and runs over to a strand of cypress trees. Turns out he saw a rabbit run under the trees and just couldn't stand it any longer.:rolleyes:

The moral of the story is, if theres a dog loose pack up and go. Then hash it out on the phone with the owner.

I had no trouble figuring out which way my under ware went on that day,........yellow in the front, and brown in the back.:D
  7. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I never have had a problem with dog(s) bothering me.
    I have been fortunate that the clients I have, both residential and commercial, only have dogs that bark, not bite.
  8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't like animals in the yard while I'm mowing. I'll leave. Had to dump a couple of customers in the past for leaving their roving menaces out while I was there.

THere was a thread in the summer about a guy that wacked a dog in the head with a stick edger. Good thread.

9. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I always carry Dog Treats with me. Give them one or two and they are your best friend
  10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I have considered carrying doggy snacks, especially when putting out flyers, but the medical condition of one of my own dogs has made me reconsider. He is diabetic, and has a special diet. I would not like to see a stranger feed him.
    On the other hand, if a dog came at me, I'd rather have the owner mad at me than to be bleeding.
    I have one of those sonic dog trainer thingies, it did seem to cause discomfort, and I think I'll carry that next spring when I put out flyers. But I'll probably carry something else in case that doesn't work.
    I had a bag of flyers with me last spring when the dalmation came out of nowhere, sorta swung it around at him, kept it between him and me, while yelling at him (the stern voice thing). Now I remember why they gave us paperboys them big bags. I wonder if I can get one those old newspaper bags for flyer delivering.
    While mowing, I've always got a power tool, and that'll handle most dogs.