Dogwood Tree transplant

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 1MajorTom, Jun 6, 2002.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I believe I know the answer to this, but I'm going to ask hoping someone tells me what I wish I could hear. ;)

A customer no longer wants their dogwood tree which is located close to their home. They want it taken out and gotten rid of.

We want it for our own. I do not know the caliper, but it is not a huge tree. To dig around the root ball would require some work and Matt would need an extra pair of hands. There wouldn't be much profit in removing this tree this way, but we wouldn't be in it for profit, only for the tree which is a very fine specimen.

When can this tree be transplanted with a chance of living?

I believe the answer is when the tree is dormant with no leaves on it, probably sometime in March. The customer will not want to wait that long, and the tree would just have to be cut.

Is there any way possible way this tree could survive a transplant now?

2. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

I transplanted a fairly large dogwood last year with good success. It was earlier than this so it had a better chance, but if now is the only option then take it. Put it in some nice soil and hook up a drip irrigation line or soaker hose for it -- it'll need a ton of regular watering.

Mine looked a bit tired last year and I thought I'd moved too big a tree, but this year it is looking amazing.

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It is risky, but can be done. Keep the remaining root ball as intact as possible. Get the client to alow you to delay this as long as possible. The harder the new groth - the better the chances. Also, spray it with an anti-transpirant like Wilt Pruf.
    I successfully transplanted this japanese maple on a 98 degree July day in 1988. It was a move it or lose it situation. That was my father - teaching and supervising. I hope I get the attachment to work?

dadtree.jpg

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Make sure you use a micorrhizae booster (Roots) or some other ammendment to help the damaged roots. Cover it when transporting, and water like crazy. It also wouldnt hurt to add a polymer (TerraSorb) to the soil to help hold water. You should be fine.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I'll speak to the customer and delay this if I can.
    I'm also going to find someone more knowledgeable in our area to see if they can assist with this.

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Jodi,

The way I look at situations like this are ... what have I got to lose ?

If they want it removed now then dig the biggest root ball you can ...gently rap and tie it in burlap ...transplant it as quickly as possible and water it plenty. If it dies your out some labor.
    Good luck.

PS ... my yard is full of shrubs and trees that others have given up on ...newest addition is 2 weeping Larch ...the root ball s are much to small and they could not sell them..looks like one of the two is going to make it .... These retailed for $399.00 each and were sitting by the "bin" waiting for destruction.

7. noiseyvoyzey

noiseyvoyzey LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if you had an success with the transplant, I am in the same situtation right now with a white dogwood, it would look GREAT in my front yard :)

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Upstart or some other root ammendment as has been mentioned and water,water,water.
    TLC will keep it alive and well.

9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly...:D

10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Just noticed this thread again Jodi ....did you transplant it?