1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dogwoods Dying? Help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ParkerLawn, Sep 14, 2005.

1. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I haven't ever seen this in a dogwood before. It looks like blight common in pear trees but I have never seen it in Dogwoods. Is this possible? One of the trees has dropped all its leaves, the other tree has leaves that the tips are brown and crunchy and the edges are rolling. The trees have been planted for a year and have turned this way within a week according to the customer. Any help would be great. Thanks.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

My brain is coming up blank on the name of it but yes it could be a fungus with the curled leaves you describe. On the other hand dogwoods like moisture, if it has been as dry as it is here it could be a problem as well.
  3. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

What type of dogwood is it, flowering dogwood (Cornus florida). Dogwood anthracnose, a damaging fungous disease, was introduced from Asia. It has spread through the Northeast south to South Carolina on flowering dogwood and in the west on Pacific dogwood. Look it up on the Internet or do your self a favor and buy Michael A. Dirr's book I believe its called woody landscape plants, I have to pick one up for my self it's the bible for woody landscape plants and trees.

P.S. always look up your specimen by its genus and species name not by its common name

O'Donnell Landscape Design
  4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Anthracnose is common. We get good results by making sure there is no lawn over the rootball, water it liberally, and use miraclegrow to foliar feed it. You have to be vigilant and it works well. It is late in the season to do much for this year.
  5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

The tree is most likely is showing signs of drying out
    Place the water hose at the base and turn it on low pressure and let it water the tree for a good 30 minutes.

Anthracnose is normally caused by excessive moisture and the spots on the leaves have a yellow tint around them.
  6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I thought the spots had a purple tint around the edges.........

Another sure tell sign of Anthracnose is if the tree is sending up water sprouts/shoots on the limbs/crotches.