Dogwoods

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cp, Jun 26, 2001.

1. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

I have a property with 4 dogwoods (app. 6' tall). Three are in good shape, however they are only 2 1/2 feet from an asphalt drive.

I have put the customer off from cutting them down until I can determine if they can be transplanted. I don't like cutting dogwoods but they were put in the wrong place.

Any suggestions, cut or dig, and do I have enough room to dig?????:confused:

Thanks Chris..

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think you should be able to get a good enough root ball seeing as you have 2.5' all the way around as wiggle room. I would say a 3' wide root ball would be sufficient. I would however wait til Nov/Dec. after the trees have gone dormant to attempt any type of transplanting.

You may disregard what I said above and read this thread....very informative* Links to other discussion forums are prohibited.

3. cp

Thanks Scraper, Good Site, I may not have any luck but I would rather try to transplant rather than cut.

Thanks Again..

4. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

This time of year it is likely that the transplant shock would be so severe that a 4' dogwood, root pruned from a nursery, would outgrow it in a year or two. I would wait untill Sept. or cut it down. Sometimes cutting down a tree is simply the right thing to do, although I don't like cutting them down either.

Jim L

5. cp

Thanks for the help.. I will definately wait til fall...
    Customer is OK with trying to save trees...

Again, Thanks...Chris:)