doing a good job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cypresslawncare, Nov 10, 2004.

1. cypresslawncare

cypresslawncare LawnSite Member

This may be a totally ******** question, but do you guys have any basic tips on making your blow/mow/trim job look better? I think I do a good job, but now you guys have me paranoid. One guy mentioned trimmer marks on fences and trees. I get those sometimes, but isn't it unavoidable? Anyways, thanks for the tips!

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I just try to treat my customers lawns as I would treat my own.

3. The Yard Barber Inc.

The Yard Barber Inc. LawnSite Member

i always edge the driveways and pick up limbs. also, i like to blow off patios and any other odjects such as benches and outdoor tables

4. lottlawncare

lottlawncare LawnSite Member

doesn't everybody blow off patios and pick up limbs? Geez. here's a question though. Does everbody here pull weeds all the time? For example, I have a customer that has red mulch and the only way to get the weeds is to hand pull them...if i use a trimmer it throws the red mulch all over the grass. He also has a three foot walkway on the side of his house where his pool pump and air conditioner are. There's no grass, just white rock, but there's weeds growing rampant in there. WOuld you guys go back there and take them out? There's also electric cords runnin' around in there.

5. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I spray round up pro on all mulch beds and it kills every thing! i dont pull weeds or bend over at all

6. AssuredServicesCo

AssuredServicesCo LawnSite Member

I find it gives a very clean look if you blow out edged walks, drives, etc. rather than just blowing into them. It takes longer but it's a small noticable difference.

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

totally agree...why edge them if you fill 'em up again!

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

No. I've had a few customers tell me I'm the only one to ever do that.

Week killer in a spray. I RARELY pull weeds.

Roundup is your friend.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with that, also. For the trimmer knicking question, no, it's not expected to be marking up trees, fenceposts, mailboxes, etc.. As a matter of fact, it's a good selling point that you DON'T do that. That's one of the easy things to point out with a hum-drum lawn service. That and scalping or just trimming too low.

10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with not marking trees, fence posts, etc... . It does take a little practice and patience but once you get to the point of being able to judge the length of the trimmer line it becomes second nature. I also like to edge and blow out all the edges. Gives a nice clean appearance. As for weeds in any landscaped area that's considered "landscape maintenance" and isn't done unless the customer is willing to pay accordingly. I run a business...not a charity.