doing demolition work for customers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cntryboymc, Aug 3, 2003.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

anyone ever do demolition work fo your customers?one of mine wants me to tear down a small ranch house that he bought at tax sale which adjoins his property.i was just looking for tips and bidding thoughts.most teardowns around here run like $10k.
  2. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

If it were me I would say I will be glad to tear it down. I don't like to turn down a fun job. :D
  3. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Rent an excavator with grapple and tractor trailers and have a ball.:blob3: :D
  4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I am a Landscape contractor. Not a demolition contracter.

See ^ the difference............................^
  5. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

I have done demo work with our Komatsu PC50 w/ thumb. Rent dumpsters or haul the material yourself. Its that easy. I figure jobs on a day rate basis for the machine + dumpsters or hauling etc. Have only done small demo jobs (garages, small additions, etc.) But if had a opp. for a larger one, I would take it and rent a large hoe etc.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

let local fire company burn it down clean up what is left:blob2:
  7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

It can be a matter of opinion whether or not it modifies your reputation in a good way or bad way.

I will take on work if I can do it in a professional manner.

Once, I gave an estimate for pruning. The person made a comment about their fence.

After looking at it, not at their request, I mentioned I could remove the above ground portion for a couple of hundred dollars.

They accepted, and after the small pruning job, I dissected their 170 feet of fence into 6 foot by 8 foot sections, and just stacked them flat on my trailer over the brush - it took about 45 minutes.

A tree service in this area, removed my mothers shed in conjuntion with 2 medium tree removals - both were wood and were disposed at the same place.

In Beaverton, Oregon, most successful business people view "versatility" as the mark of a good business. That's because they had to do it themselves to succeed, and not be one of the 6 businesses in 10 that fails. So they will view the versatile business as one that provides solutions, and one that will offer them benefits when its possible.
  8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Not to be a party pooper here, but what does your insurance say about this kind of thing? Personally, I do plant care. I have no interest in home re-modeling, stone, digging, etc. If a customer wants that stuff done I will most likely recommend a reputable contractor who does that kind of thing on a regular basis. While you might be opening a new door for revenue this one time, you are also opening yourself up for a whole bunch of trouble if something goes wrong due to something you don't know about because you have no experience doing it. Do what you do and be good at it. Don't try to be a jack of all trades. :cool:
  9. cntryboymc

this is a small house-15'x60' feet.i am close to having the job in hand as my customer is going through the purchase process now.we have already spoken with the local fire department about using the building as a training area.this will be done.all the utilities will be disconnected and marked off before the demo customer owns a large lot behind this house and wants all the rubble to be used as hard fill for the lot then i will be fine grading and seeding planning on renting an excavator,bulldozer,and compact tractor with a york looking at a week to complete the project.should be lucrative,around $5,000 labor plus several hardwood trees to be taken down which i will process to sell as firewood.any other thoughts?
  10. cntryboymc

any thoughts?