1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

doing extra

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LakeSide Lawn and Landscape, Sep 9, 2002.

1. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone do extra things for there customers?For instence today we took some fall anual flowers and planted them at our customers home. does anyone else do this?I think its a way to get in better with your clients.:D
  2. Toatlandscape

Toatlandscape LawnSite Member

Why woulld you not do an extra for an existing customer if you have the time? If you don't do it they may find someone who will and then they may also get to talking about the new person doing the lawn as well. I don't want anyone else on my property if I have time and the ability to service MY customer.
  3. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I failed to mention we were doing this for free just as a thank you to all of our clients...thanks
  4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

If all your clients are full service and spend lot of dinero on landscaping every year - well maybe. For some clients (who refer lots of work, or are in the above category - sure) otherwise extra work = extra charge. I think we all do "a little extra" here and there if we take pride in our work, but in the long run
    Word to the wise.

5. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

If they will stay off my case about nit picky stuff I might do a little something for free. I might have some needles left over from another job and I will dress up a small bed or I might give their dog a toy or treat. I might even give them a free plant or two.

Nothing much over $5.00 bucks or so but just enough to let them know I appreciate them.:D
  6. deason

deason LawnSite Member

I try not to do ANY work that is not invoiced. Now, if I fail to charge a proper fee for services that I commit to, then and only then do I give free services.
    That doesnt happen that much any more though. It's funny how quickly you learn how to price accordingly. :D

(although I do have a soft spot for little old ladies)
  7. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

I will do small extras like picking up a few dead branches on the next mow after a storm if it's not too time consuming. If you do more they expect more, for free.