Doing leaves in the wind!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Nov 5, 2006.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have a question for you leaf experts... Here in Oklahoma, the wind blows 10 to 20 on the average day. If youre lucky, youll get a calm day or two in between fronts.

My question is, how do you guys deal with the wind? And whats worse is the wind swirls around alot in between houses, etc... It seems like Im chasing leaves all around the yard.

I have pretty much resorted to mulching everything with my ZTR, blowing whats left, mulching again, etc...

Let me know your thoughts please.

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

toro, olathe, and smithco make lawn sweepers. curise around picking up leaves with now blowing. sweep and have guys blow the beds at the same time and then mow and on to the next lawn.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, typically I have always mulched them, but I can understand why guys might rather blow them in tight-nit residential developments.

Have you considered a leaf plow?

I don't have one myself, but that might be an alternative.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

lawnstevo--here we use the wisdom of not spitting into the wind.

where you are, I dunno what the wisdom is. good luck.

GEO :)

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well I can feel for you, I'm in Kansas, lol. I always get a kick out of reading about the guys on here that can blow all their leaves to the truck waiting on the street! We could do that maybe 2 days out of the fall season when the winds not blowing.

Final clean-ups need calm days, otherwise you are just chasing leaves out to watch them circle around behind you again. As for the weeklys they get blown out nice and neat when the opportunity arrises. Sometimes the prevailing wind can even help out if it's not too strong, and if it's real windy cross your fingers and hope they blow to the next house you don't do...

6. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We battle the wind here too. What I hate is when you finish the lawn and then you look behind to watch all the neighbors leafs blanketing you nice clean lawn. In a couple neighborhoods I swear by the end of leaf season I have taken atleast 70% of the leaves in the neighborhood.

7. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the trouble here and have been wondering the same thing. I have found that if you stand really far back from the line of leaves your moveing it kidna pushs them down and out vs. up and out. So wind cant catch them as well. sometimes I get so frustrated I try to start blowing the leaves in the air to the pile. Always backfires and they just get away. lol