Doing the impossible

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenflag, Jun 30, 2002.

1. greenflag

greenflag LawnSite Member

After almost 3/4" of rain Friday night, I was left with three yards to mow Saturday morning. I got up & put on a fresh set of doubles, cleaned & sprayed the decks, & lowered the air pressure in my drive tires. ( that last one is a jeep trick for extra traction, I had some hills to deal with)

AS I finished mowing the first yard another LCO stopped. He was on the way to get oil & filters for his equipment, because he couldn't mow. He told me it was impossible for me to have mowed that yard with it that wet, & a mulch plate, & it look that good. He demanded to know how I did that.

I just smiled & told him it was a trade secret.:D

He said, "Someone in heaven must be smiling on you, because no one else could do that."

I replied "There is someone up there, & I promise he is wearing a BIG smile right now!"

I just want to thank all of you guys for being my "Trade Secret".

Thanks Guys!!!

2. I have had a few guys ask how we got to cut a lot of tall lawns only one time, and I told them special blades.

ERIC will live long in our hearts.
  3. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Good job Geenflag. you know ole Eric was lovin every minute of it!
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

What machine were you mowing with?

Ain't it a great feeling!!!
  5. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

What blades were you running ? I run doubles and it still clumps up if the grass is to wet. I use regular on the bottom and gators on top. Thanks

6. greenflag

greenflag LawnSite Member

I was using a 32" Great Dane, & double Gators. I had a very small amount of clumping at the mulch plate. It was nothing that a wave of a blower wouldn't disperse.

One thing for sure is the double Gators are loud!

I always had always used high lift & gators before, I just happed to have two sets of gators sharp.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You just answered your own question.;) The Gators are wgat are clumping your grass. As Eric always said, and so do I Gators are NOT for grass. They are better suited for leaves. I grass, wet grass especially, you tend to get little "balls" of grass dispersing. I have always had great results with Highlifts on botom, and low, or no-lift mulchers on top. These mulching blades can be either dual OR tri-level. Now, some have said they can USE gators while mowing. I've just never seen a set in use do a good job. I HAVE seen aLOT of them in use for grass though. The results all came out about the same. I hope this helps.