Doing work for family.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Leading Edge Decatur, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Leading Edge Decatur

Leading Edge Decatur LawnSite Member

My in-laws needed 10 yards of mulch spread and asked if I'd do it and I agreed. They said they'd pay by the hour so I thought I'd be generous and agree to do it for $15/hour. Guess who was offended? They said last year the mulch company (yes the one's who sold them the mulch w/ a massive mark up) installed for $10/ hour; that they had 3 or 4 guys throwing mulch like crazy. No good deed I guess. Needed to vent.

2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

I do labor for free for family. Anyways it's only 10 yards! It's not that much.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

This is why I never price jobs by the hour anymore. Learned my lesson. Price by the job whenever possible. 10 yards at $25/yard of premium double dark is $250, installed for family I'd charge about $450 to $600 depending on what I could get away with. For a customer, I'd price at $800 to $1000, depending on what I could get away with. I have a pricing strategy, but I have to play each customer by ear. How high can I charge before they go with somebody else? Usually I hit the nail on the head pretty well.

4. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

funk that, I only do family favors for IMMEDIATE FAMILY ie. My sister or my parents. in-laws don't count. Anyway I did about 25 yards for 200$ yesterday and it only took me 3 hours with a helper (who didn't get paid, my dad who helps occasional for the exercise), so 15$ an hour is a steal!

If I did favors for free for my entire family I would never get any of my contracts done.

5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

How the heck did you do 25 yards between 2 people in 3 hours? Was everything edged and weeded? Even so, that seems pretty dang fast.

6. bradseabridge

God damn your expensive, where do you work? I need in there.

7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I can easily get $100/yard installed (edged, weeded, spread, etc) for up to about 6-8 yards. Anything over that, I start lowering my price per yard. I don't get any bigger jobs than 8-10 yards though. I only do small resis.

8. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Seems icrediable to me unless he used a tractor or skid ster.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. bradseabridge

I weeded and edged the day before, also they were bags that the customer bought himself. All I did was walk around and pour in spots then go back and spread it around, it went super fast.

10. bradseabridge

everyone disregard the bullshit that is coming out of my fingers right now. Yesterday I did 4 yards in 3 hours, the day before I did 15 yards all day.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010