Doing work for neighbors cheap?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by livingreen1, Nov 11, 2006.

1. livingreen1

livingreen1 LawnSite Member

Anybody do work in your own neighborhood? We have 15 yards in my own neighborhood and we also maintain the common areas as well. I do all these for about 20 percent less than every where else. We still have a good profit margin being we spend half a day in this one area. Would all agree this is okay? I hate to see other lcos coming in my nieghborhood.Any comments?
  2. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

I charge the same to everyone. I am out to make money, as is said on here all the time, people keep you because of the quality of your work and the price you charge. If someone doesn't want to pay it to save a few bucks-they aren't good customers anyway. Replace them with people who want YOU, not just a cheap cut. You are losing money but giving discounts.
  3. livingreen1

livingreen1 LawnSite Member

Most of these customers are ones we have had for several years. They are all good payers and no problems. I have slowly raised them through ou the years but I guess I feel okay with the way we are doing things.

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I don't see anything wrong with that. 20% seems steep but you know what you need to charge to make a profit.

I do one yard in my neighborhood out of fifty or so. Less than ten people have someone mow their lawns. One neighbor (and friend) asked me to take care of his lawn. I told him I'd knock $5 off the regular price since I don't have to load up and travel. He was very happy with that, pays promptly, and compliments the job quite often.

5. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

I always knock a couple dollers off the price for nieghbors. Its not just becuse thre nieghbors its becuse you just roll the mower out of your garage toss the trimmer on the back and you can take care of all 10 lawns or whatever right there with no trips to the truck or loading/unloading.