Doing work for people that rent?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Apr 21, 2006.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I just finished a cleanup job for a guy that rents the house he is living in. I was wondering if there can be any ramifications doing work for a renter? Most of it was some simple pruning and leaf removal, but there was some spraying of round-up. It had a very thin backyard. Around 4' x 30'. Not much grass, but he wanted it all sprayed. Technically the property is not owned by him, so I was wondering if, by law, he is allowed to do this kind of work or hire the work out? After I gave the estimate, I had thought about this, but did the work anyway.

What do ya think?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well there could be but it would be on the renter..not you..you are just performing work requested.You had no idea he was not the owner of the property..Get it?

3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

what she said...:usflag:

4. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

Some renters are required to care for the property as part of their agreement. Also, if they are telling you to do the work, any problems would be between them and their landlord, not you.

5. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience, Renters dont pay or are slow to pay. Always get $ up front with renters.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

^^^^What he said....if a renter defaults, you have nothing to stand on so to speak. I don't think that you can put a mechanics lein on a property when the renter defaults. But getting money up front is the easiest way....

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Amen to that brother. This was just a cleanup and I told him that I wanted to get paid before I left. Since my new policy (getting paid up front for mowing from renter), I have only had to do that once and it was just last month. He had no problems with that. Thanks for the input.

Matt