Doing yards for certain prices.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, May 1, 2014.

1. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

What you think about only doing yards that are 1/4 acre and up due to what they pay. Or will I be losing out too much. I don't like rolling my stuff out for anything smaller because I feel it don't pay enough. Do any of you guys do stuff like this.
  2. S&S Lawn ServiceLLC

S&S Lawn ServiceLLC LawnSite Member

Well it seems your gonna lose out on a lot but I have tossed the idea of if I can't get my ZTR on all the property then I'm out.
    Then again, if it's something I feel I can do without a problem I'd take it.
    Back to the question at hand, your gonna lose out.Gotta make money where ya can and not pick and choose or your gonna go under..just my 2cents.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. I really wont show up for anything less than 30-35 dont matter how small. its not worth my time to load up and roll for anything less.
  4. ozarkbilly

ozarkbilly LawnSite Member

I picked up a $20 yard a couple weeks ago that's crazy-tiny. I took it because it's across the street from another larger account. Monday of this week I picked up an account in a mobile home park for $20 also, at the time it was only because it was on a major thoroughfare into a neighboring city where I have several accounts. I picked up a neighboring lot while I was there mowing it, and I've picked up another one today through word of mouth from the 2nd one. Now granted, this isn't a "typical" mobile home park. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it's actually quite nice, great smooth turf and mostly older folks so no toys/bikes/etc all over the place. And TINY lots. Like 1 1/2 passes around the trailer and then trim around it. So it's less than 30 minutes total to get in, mow them, & get back on the road. I'm actually hoping to pick up a few more via word of mouth or being contacted while servicing them, although I doubt I'd do a mailing to all of the lots or anything.
  5. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't you JUST ask about mowing a yard once a month and how to price it? You'll mow a hayfield and ruin your equipment but won't mow a postage stamp?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I only have a 21" mower, so I would actually prefer the smaller ones. But I think I'd do them even if I had larger mowers. One thing to consider is how far you have to drive however. Because if you're making less money per lawn your driving time and fuel are going to cut into the profit more. But if you have other lawns in the area I don't see why it wouldn't be worth it.
  7. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

It really all depends on your area. Whats the majority of the properties there?

For me, it's mixed. I have a lot of 1/3rd acre on down. To give you a better idea, townhouses for me are priced at $18 weekly of $24 biweekly. We have to pass all of them to get to existing customers. So between drivetime and mowing, it usually takes us off our route at a max of 10 minutes. When I first started, I had 2 tonwhouses next door to eachother and charged $24 each (biweekly). it took me 10 minutes to mow both. $48 for 10 minutes....I'll take that all day.

Now if all your properties are 1/4 acre and up, and you have the right equipment, then it may work out for you.
  8. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

I'm considering getting rid of my $32 minimum as I've figured out recently that I can mow three small yards in an hour and basically net my self the same hourly as mowing one big one. There are a lot of yards around here that I can mow for $25 a cut and make more GP per hour if I can get three or four on the same street. The trick is not just doing one lawn. If your doing one lawn for 25 bucks you're probably losing your ass, but if your doing five in a row... That's kind of like doing one big lot with a lot of trimming. Most of these small lots I can still get my ZTR on and knock them out in about four passes.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

Be careful doing this...these customers may not stick around forever or very long at all. Or they may stick around many years. Price it as if you were only mowing that yard, the extras would be considered a bonus. if you have to, knock a few bucks off.

Smaller yards are good, and you can make some good money doing them. The only thing is, you need to advertise more if your area is saturated with weekend warriors and push mowers in vans/sedans/trucks. Your competition may be a lot higher because anyone can mow a small yard with a 21".
  10. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

My concern wasn't the price of the job my concern was how to handle that first high cut. And it's not a hay field a 1/4 or her yard is high. And I don't like getting calls for postage stamps but I do them. Most my calls are for 1/4 acre lots and higher though. Just trying to figure out here if it's worth it. Were I am at there are a lot of of folks with lawn mowers sticking out their trunk claiming to be LCO's and driving down the prices for postage stamps accounts. So to differentiate myself from that issue maybe I can focus on 1/4 and up.
    Last edited: May 2, 2014