Doing your best in the wet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tye, May 16, 2003.

1. tye

tye LawnSite Member
    from zone3

Based on your experience, what equipment have you found works or has worked the best for you in wet grass or thick wet grass maybe 4"-5" tall? I guess what I'm curious about is what equipment have you used that when you are finished with a property, it looks decent given that everything is wet/soaked?

Thank you for sharing.

2. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Best equipment. Try letting the grass dry FIRST before you cut it. Wet grass can be very nasty and messy. Hope it's not residential.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would suggest just raising the height at a max and take off as much as possible without clumping. Then come back about 3 to 4 days later and take off more.

4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a used 99 Scag 52" with a 17hp and this thing plows right throught the tall grass. Just today I cut some probably 10" grass that was soakeed and heavy and it shredded and then sprayed that stuff right out with ease. Previously for the past 3 years I've used the same model machine but with a 14hp Kawasaki instead and it sucked cutting. I think the most important thing is having plenty of horepower and properly sharpened blades. These are just my experiences.

5. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I to,have a 52" skag(its 13 years old),with high lift blades. On all but the thickest and tallest ,wet grass,this maching chops it up quite well. It has the original Kohler,18 HP,twin cylinder engine although two years ago,I put pistons,rings,and new valves in it,but,thats it......good motor.

6. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Wet Grass=doubles & Accelerator catchers. Works especially well on the Toro SFS decks.

7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Exmark with mulching kit. No build up under the deck with the mulch kit. The mulch kit keeps the deck very clean. I do have to double cut when its wet but it looks pretty good to good. No clumping.