1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Doing your own printing?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Jan 3, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone ventured into printing their own postcards or anything similiar? I am talking something full-colored. I am looking at buying a color laser printer, as they are getting so cheap, and was wanting to help justify it by doing some large amounts of printing.

Any suggestions? Is a laser printer not really meant for high production?

I currently have a black and white laser printer....hp laserjet 1012. It has been one of the best investments I could have made for my business.

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been using an HP5510office jet...its a fax machine,printer etc..etc.. all in one deal. It wasent cheap when I got it 2 years ago ($300 bucks!) now it can be had for 100 bucks or less on ebay. By far the best printer I have had

We print all of our own brochures,mailers & postcards

www.printpal.com has made ink a little cheaper on our wallets. Still not dirt cheap for doing it yourself but it saves time and some money.

I can pring roughly 300 brochures for around $90 est.

Best part is they are exactly how I want them and done when I want them!

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

This is the problem that you might run across that I did in past. I ran through ink like crazy. It was better to order them through someone else already printed up

4. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the HP laser 1320 and it was one of the best things i have bought. Made invoicing easy and quick. I do print up a monthly "note" that i send with the invoice,
    Its not color so i can get to fancy. but if you wanted to print your own mailers, I dont see it being a bad investment, if you dont mind buying the ink.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have a HP Laserjet that prints up all our company brochures and business cards in the winter months.

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

As tiedeman said, you will go through ink like water. Also, I could never get things printed quite as nice as the ones that printing companies provide. They always look like they were printed using my office printer :)rolleyes: ). For most things, my office printer works fine, but for large batches that I really want to look nice I go to a printer.

Actually, you guys with laser printers probably can do better than me. I have a good printer, Epson Stylus CX3200 full color ink jet, but I don't think it is as good as a laser printer.

7. drsogr

Well I am looking at spending some money on a color laser printer. I am noticing that for color printing...the cost per sheet runs around 10 cents a page. Not including stock. I have a good black and white laser...but I want to up the image of my company. Color brochures....color postcards...etc.

From a cost standpoint I think I should be just as good or a little better doing it myself, plus I would have a nice color laser printer sitting around for when I need to print a couple of sheets of something. Plus it would be a lot easier to tweek things. Since I would be doing the printing.

Has anyone bought a large color laser printer? I have been looking on the internet, I have yet to see one where the reviews are sceaming buy me!

8. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I have a color laser printer, an HP 2500L, which I have had for about 3 years now. True, it is an excellent investment, and I like being able to print in color for invoices, letterheads, the occasional piece of propoganda, or even test runs of an ad... But you need to re-do your math if you think you will be able to print postcards, brochures, biz cards, or anything of the like anywhere NEAR as good or as cheap as a professional printer can. If you can afford the color laser, get it. But DONT try to justify its cost by printing your own ads. In bulk I can buy 8x10 Full Color Coated brochures (full color BOTH sides), already printed, cut, and folded for .10 each (including stock). I, nor you, would NEVER be able to do it that cheap. Even if you could match the price on printing (which is .05 per side including stock), what about the labor of trimming and folding? Not even close to being competitive. Even in a lower volume run where you might pay .20-.30 cents for a brochure, I still dont think you could justify doing it yourself.

Kevin

9. drsogr

Yeah, I am sure your right. But there are so many things that I want to run low quantities of that I think it would be beneficial. Big printouts...would probably just go to the someone else. But some of the lower quantities...under 100 I wouldn't mind doing myself. I have only been in business for a couple of years...so as I grow, my documents change. I hate printing large quantities of things, without trying them out.

10. drsogr

BTW how often do you change out your cartridges. Do they typically last a year?