Doing your own welding

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by recycledsole, Apr 26, 2014.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Hey guys,
    I have some steel expanded metal mesh I want to put on some equipment ramps. would it be hard to weld it by myself? What kind of welder would I be able to use? I need to cut the expanded metal mesh and then weld it to the equipment ramps.
    Thank you

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

You dont have a welder or experience, yes it will be hard. Find a shop that isnt slammed, they will probably do it for $50

3. Optimum Lawn

Optimum Lawn LawnSite Member

Buy a mig welder(with gas is preferred) and google/youtube how to weld with it then go out and learn/practice. Is reasonably easy to do and welding mesh down will be good practice cause it does not need to look pretty unlike laying down a bead of weld.

Or as said pay some one to do for you.

4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

If you are going to get a welder, I would suggest going to http://weldingweb.com/index.php first, do some reading and ask
    some questions.

I have a old Lincoln stick welder in the shop, it's what I have been using forever. I would not recommend it to some one starting
    out. But I can not say which is better either. Before you try to weld it on your ramps, take some time to practices with some scraps. Welding is not as easy as everyone thinks.....

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Gas Mig welders aren't cheap. Then you have to buy the wire, tank, helmet, and gas. Get a 220 outlet installed. If that is all you will ever want welded, then I would take it to a weld shop. I am always needing something welded, so I learned to do it myself. I spent years going to weld shops, but many have gone out of business or have gone way up in price. Some make you wait too long for service

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea don't start with a stick welder. They are fun once you master the art of doing it. Until then, you will burn holes for awhile:laugh:

7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

My experience has been either spend a thousand on a mig welder which is hard to justify regardless of how I figure it...
    Play around with an arc welder that seems like a lot of fun at first but doesn't quite do the job (after spending $200), or...
    Spend a bit at a shop down the street, which is what I ended up doing, after learning that welding isn't as easy as it looks.

But if you ever wanted to try, I think I'll go sell my arc welder on ebay used, everything that goes with it for $100 or so?
    On that note I'd be cautious trying anything labeled mig for cheap, you still need the oxygen/acetylene bottles...
    There's a whole kit and kaboodle goes with it, arc welders too but arc is by far cheaper (and harder to use).
    I don't know but I'm telling you, I done hanged up my welding gloves.

8. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

You don't absolutely need gas for mig unless you're outside

A stick welder is much more versatile but is harder to master.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

10. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget to mention your house needs appropriate wiring, a circuit on a 15a breaker isn't going to handle that.
    Some of those are 220v, that looks to be one, don't forget to check these details before you drop $500.
    Most of us will have to call an electrician to hook up some extra duty wire and a breaker appropriate for it (don't say "oh well yeah of course" because that's another bill worth several hundred dollars), it gets really expensive if they have to get into the electric company's power box up the street.
    That welder right there is rated 30-140amps, lets just say LOL right now.
    And you still need the mask and gloves, maybe a body coat as well to protect from flying sparks.
    Don't forget these details will cost you, do your research.