1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Doing zero turns with a single-drive walk behind...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmbhmg, Jan 2, 2002.

1. dmbhmg

dmbhmg LawnSite Member

One point turn makes more sense to say than zero turn, your right and thanks for the correction. As I said, it was probably an easy question, but I just wanted to ask. By the way, If doing a one point turn with the single drive isn't stressful on the trans, why then do they make a dual-drive.........Just a thought.......

Thanks to everyone that has replied.............!:)
  2. Ferris does it like that for 3 levels of mower types, in stead of 2.

Belt drive

Single drive hydro

Dual drive hydro, most other brands of hydro mowers are all dual pump and motor set up, but Ferris are all in one as a hydraulic tranny.

ANd of course the price goes up as you go up in levels. Also the performance is increased as you do.

Hydro's do much better in wet conditions, and the have a true infinate variable speed, plus reverse.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

dmbhmg wrote:
    If doing a one point turn with the single drive isn't stressful on the trans, why then do they make a dual-drive.

Most likely it is because it is easier to make the turn at the end of a row of grass and go back in the other direction. The dual hydro does take a little bit of time to get used to. That is about the only advantage the dual has over the single though.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

another thought could be...if it were stressful, then why would they even make the single drive at all?

I can see stressing a mower in grass too tall, I can see stress as running the pumps wide open all the time...and I can understand your question about mower stress, but not about turning the lawn mower as being stressful.

I'm sure this wont be a problem for you.

good luck.