Dollar spot?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sodzilla, Apr 5, 2004.

1. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

Went to look at a lawn the other day. Brown spots all over. Front and back no dog on the property. When I was looking at the grass leaves I noticed a brown hour glass shaped spot about half way up. Looks like dollar spot to me. Here in WI the grass is just starting to green up. Will dollar spot last over the winter? I did some reading about it the other day and found out it is caused by a lake of N. Showed some grass I pulled to the guy at lesco he said it looked like dollar spot also. He suggested hitting it with N and see if it grows out of it. What would you do? And what has worked for you in the past?

Yes, I am licensed.

Brian

2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Brian, do your normal fert app now and that should help it grow out, very rarely Ive had to apply a fungi for dollar spot.

Some times i would come in 2 weeks after a regular app and hit it with t-19

3. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

hmm, bit cool out there for dollar spot, no?

4. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

that was my thought also. Dollar spot usually requires warmer temps between 60-80 degrees to be active. Are you sure those are not left over from last year?

5. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

What type of grass is this infection on? What's the environment around those spots, (EX. open sunit, shaded,etc) ? Too early for dollar spot unless left over from last year. Sure it's not gray snow mold damage?

6. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

Yes it is left over from last year. The guy had a problem with it last year. Not enough fert and he would water at night when he got home from work. The grass never had a chance to dry out before it got dark.

I talked to the turf prof. at the Univesity today he said it sounds like dollar spot also. I really wasn't sure if it would last over the winter or not. He said it would. He also said to be 100% sure I could talk a sample to the turf grass center and have it looked at. I told him it was already there. I had the home owner take in a sample the other day. If the home owner takes it in it costs $20. If I take it in ( being a contractor) it costs $40 to have it looked at. I love home owners that are willing to work with you. Not to mention this house is in a neighborhood were the houses are $500,000 plus. It could be really good for business to get in to this place

7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

"I love home owners that are willing to work with you."

Now if you can just get him to stop watering every night.....

8. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I was thinking. But this dollar spot issue....I some how doubt it's dollar spot. I would think it's still pretty cool up your way.

9. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

He is going to stop watering at night. He also asked about putting in a irigation system for him. That way he could set the timer for the morning. Thats a little more involved than I want to get right now. I always wanted to do an irrigation install, but not on an existing lawn. I want to try one before the lawn is put in.

10. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I guess if the hour glass is there it must be dollarspot, I didnt relieze the disease can over winter like that, most grasses are still dormant here in central mass soil temps are still cool, I would think your area, Madison would have simalar temps,

Thats why I would just recommend fert now. and check it as spring gets warmer.