Dollar Spot.....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Green Pastures, May 22, 2004.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

So what LIQUID product do you guy's use for spraying at a curative rate on Dollar Spot in an established Fescue lawn.

I have one customer who waters like water is free and he's got Dollar Spot BAD.

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

If he's overwatering, no sense trying to control dollar spot. He's growing dollar spot, not turfgrass, with excess irrigation. Trying to control dollar spot only with pesticides is irresponsible management. Only if other cultural practices are correct, and weather causes the excess moisture to enhance dollar spot, would it be useful to treat it.

Over-irrigation is the most damaging thing to landscapes - turf and ornamentals. It's way above any natural problems.

3. Green Pastures

Jim,

Thank you for that!

I know and agree with everything you've said.

However, when the customer asks you "what is this growing in my yard" and you explain it to him what it is, tell him the cause, then explain to him the proper watering technique time and time again for 4 full seasons and he STILL chooses to water EVERY SINGLE DAY except Friday and Sunday, rain or shine, then he say's he want's something done about the dollar spot..........

My intentions are to charge him for the service, advise him how to stop it from happening in the future (AGAIN) and continue to treat the dollar spot till the dollar spot goes away or winter comes whichever comes first.

I'm guessing that if I charge him over $600 for fungicide treatments like I did last year..........sooner or later he'll get the message and allow me to program his Rain Bird system.

Now...........what LIQUID product would you recommend?

4. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Fore with Eagle Tank Mixed, follow up with a systemic.

I usually also fert.

EG

5. Green Pastures

Lesco carry the products you've mentioned?

6. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

They should, I don't buy these from them. Check the label for the curative and preventative rates and watch the need for re-application.

As previously mentioned it is importnat to mention cultural items which can reducde the incidience of dollar spot, but sometimes a treatment will help....

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with GroundKprs that a fungicide program in this situation is irresponsible. You need to educate the customer that he is causing the damage to his property by over-watering. Once he cuts back on the water, Daconil will clear up DS rather quickly. I'd personally use 1/2# N/ 1000 sf to mask DS.

8. Green Pastures

I've had this customer for 4 seasons now. I've told him at least a dozen times that he is watering incorrectly and to boot, at the wrong time of day.

I've provided him with pamplets on proper watering techniques,

I've given him links to websites on proper watering techniques,

I've had his irrigation company to come out and re-program his sprinkler system for proper watering he just goes right back to doing what he is going to do on his own property.

I appreciate you guy's trying to tell me about proper watering, but I KNOW THAT, you're preaching to the choir!

I cannot force him to listen to me or anyone else for that matter.

I guess I should have posted all this information in my original post.

Thanks for the advice on watering, but I just want to know what you would use to combat the fungus GIVEN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES, cuz the circumstances aren't going to change.

Thanks.

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Well then, there's a saying "a fool and his money are soon parted". Get him on a monthly fungicide program with Bayleton and Heritage and charge him up the wha-zoo.

10. Green Pastures

Now we're getting somewhere.

:D