1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dollers per hour...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by theturfboss, Apr 20, 2007.

1. theturfboss

theturfboss LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have searched just about every post to get some solid info...thought maybe I would try a new thread. If possilbe, please do not reply based on 1 particular job as opposed to a whole day, week, or month consistantly.

We run one mowing crew out of a truck and trailer. Equipment includeds 2 ZTRs, 1 WB, and various gas equipment. At this point, the crew is made up of 3 employees. As we are about 3 weeks into our mowing season, I am still trying to see if I have the right set up for this year's route. (Mowing is only one part of our business and I do not claim to have it mastered or be an expert!)

When I add up the revenue for the day, week, or month and take into account the 3 employees, I am coming up with about $25 of revenue per man, per hour worked. The crew (of 3) is doing about $75 per hour worked. We are not a one man operation, so my hours worked are from clock in time to clock out time (what I have to pay wages on). Last year, as a whole for the season, our numbers were about the same as they are at this point this season. I will qualify these numbers to the fact that we mow 100% residential.

Obviously we attempt to control down time, windshield time, route tightness, etc., as well as wrestle with the idea of only using a 2 man crew, or two 2 man crews. Keeping opionions on crew size out of the question, I am just curious about those of you who operate crews (not solo ops)...what do you bring in per hour, per man at the end of the day, week, or month?
  2. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I'm sorry I can't help it. I've found two man crew much more profitable on smaller residential accounts. I don't have a real solid numer to give you in part because we do mowing part of the week mixed with landscaping. i don't have a full time lawn crew yet. When I started mowing solo I was making 50 per hour including driving time(not including get to the shop tie my shoe drink my coffe time-)) Now if I go out with myself and one employee We average $30 per man hr. if I send two guys out they probably only make 25, witch is really sad. it doesn't even seem worth it sometimes.

i think you need to stay with yourself and one guy mowing or have at least 3 crews to make money
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm solo and getting $45 per hour with a 21" and all the associated hand tools. With a 36", I could easily be making $65-70 per hour, but a lawn to run a 36" on around here is scarce, most of the work I have is 100% 21" lawns.
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

$25 is pretty low per man. This season I've hired a helper and the two of us are doing between $80 and $120 and hour (or $40/$60 per man). We could do much better if we could actually gain yards beside the ones we already maintain. Three people seems like one too many unless you drop the gate and mow an entire street. I might try taking one guy off and see how that goes.
  5. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

More info would help. What size properties are you on? I run strictly 2 man crews, on smaller residentials, it just makes more sense. My productivity is 34-45 per man, per hour. That includes drive time, bathroom breaks, etc.

If you have 2 ztr's, and one trimmer guy, and the properties are big, the trimmer guy will be standing around watching the other guys mow. 2 mowers, two trimmers, share the load. When there are only two guys, one is less likely to screw off. When there are three, someone will always screw off.
  6. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I'am a 1 man crew just me myself an I. I'am doing buck a min . that is drive time an work time .

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If you do 5k lawns on average, a third man doesn't pay dividends unless you have multiple lawns at most stops. If it's just a single stop, you maybe shave a few minutes off the lawn, then the third guy gets paid to ride 5-10 minutes to the next lawn.
  8. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

Right now with me and 1 helper I am only making $30 per man hour. That is from when we leave the shop until we get back to the shop. I am fine with that now b.c it is the beginning of the year. You really have to make your schedule tight. Just think about how long you have to wait at lights and traffic conditions b.c those things will kill you every time.
  9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i disagree, we run this settup and we usually have to wait for the guy trimming on big lawns. 2 Z's can cut a large lawn in 15 mins. also, you dont need more info, he is looking to compare his figures.

it obviously varies but i think we were around 40-60/hr/man per day.
  10. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

it's funny how we can't resist telling him three man mowing crews don't make sense. The bigger variable here is mower size. your should be making less per hr with a 48 wB than a 72 z turn, that's why lawns are priced per time and not by the hr. I feel that I'm not making enough for the size mowers I have. It's hard because I'm in a small rural area. people will only pay so much for you to cut your lawn, so the only way to increase profit is have more closer together.