1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dolmar trimmer/brushcutter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fastcast, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Fastcast

Fastcast LawnSite Member

Anyone using a Dolmar trimmer? My Dolmar dealer has a MS-260U (handlebar model) with line head and blade of choice, case of oil and spool of line for $359.00

I have a Dolmar 5100s saw that I absolutely love and my Dolmar dealer is a great/honest guy who goes above and beyond for service. That's why I'm leaning toward buying this trimmer but I don't know squat about Dolmar's trimmers, other than the motors are not Dolmar, like their saws but Mitsubishi.

I'm not interested in a Stihl (long story about my last Stihl trimmer).....So it's between Shindaiwa C-270 - $399.....Husky 323R - $379.00.....or Echo SRM 260U $389.00

Any advise from the professionals is appreaciated. This will be used to take care of my property, about 10 acres. I would have done a search but couldn't seem to find the search function.
  2. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

Well Mitsubishi's are good engines. Shindaiwa is great also, but the Dolmar has a longer warranty - 2 years commercial on the MS-260.
  3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

The Echo SRM280T is around $379.99 isn't it? That's the biggest baddest trimmer they make. They don't even make the 260U anymore. It's available with the U handles as well.

That said, Dolmar makes a great product. They don't have the dealer network that others have, but every Dolmar product I've seen is nice, especially their saws (I see you have had a great experience with that 5100).
  4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Search function only appear on the thread headline page. If you are reading the thread like what you are reading now, the search function is not there. When you are checking the latest posts, look to the upper right, you will see "search forum".

You have to ask what weight you can deal with. Your choice is very wide spread. Shindy is very heavy and Husky is light. If you can take a 14+lb Shindy, you really should consider Honda HHT35S, cheaper. If Husky 323 using plastic crankcase??!! I would go with 326L, I always see it on sale for $269.
  5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am currious about the trimmers as well. I am intrigued by their very light weight trimmer, but am concerned my guys might beat it up too bad. I have the 5100 saw....best saw I have owned, and I have owned some Sthil and Echo pro models. I also have a couple of their bush trimmers, and they are light and very strong.....I favor them as the best I have ever owned, and that says alot as I have owned some good ones, the best being Redmax. They have nearly the same power weighing several pounds less. I don't think you could go wrong with a trimmer. I just hope nothing ever breaks as the way they distribute parts info with my dealer is just plain silly.
  6. K/B

Parts info?? Could you elaborate a little bit?
  7. Fastcast

Fastcast LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help! I think I'll go for it after hearing no bad reports here (so far) Like I said my Dolmar dealer is a great guy. He really can tune em up. Since buying the 5100s off of him I've been taking all my other junk to him and he has it all running like new again and boy can he sharpen a chain so that should seal the deal. Having a good dealer that is.

As far as parts go...I believe he gets Dolmar parts from Central Power in Columbus Ohio and seeing as I'm in Ohio, he says one to two days for any part he doesn't stock. Thanks again!
  8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

My dealer...albeit small.... took an hour to find out how many links were on the chain for my 5100! :confused: In all his literature he could find nothing, the resources they sent him, or were on line had nothing, and he had to spend twenty minutes talking to a Dolmar tech to get the numbers. He also was trying to find out what air filter went on my bush trimmer, but he could not find it either, and was going to have to take some time to research it.

Could my dealer be inept....possibly, but he carries other lines of equipment and can find the numbers. He said he can get parts in a day or two, it is just finding the right part. I don't have time to stand around while he looks for parts, that is all I was saying. Otherwise the products are super.
  9. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Bad Dealer!!!!!!

Look here - http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/productcatalog/product/5153/index.html

There is a link at the bottom for a parts list. http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/files/downloads/391/source.pdf
  10. K/B

Yep, all the parts lists are online. Also, all the chain lengths & types are listed in the Dolmar product brochure.