Domain names

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toddppm, Nov 14, 2000.

1. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Where did you get your domain name? Seems like there are a bunch of sites selling them, just want to make sure i am paying through the right source. How much did you pay?,yearly fee?
    I want to get set for this winter and start building my site. Thanks

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We got ours from http://www.nebs,com they also have free web sites to larger web sites like ours and if you go with the gold package domain name is included in costs.

5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Are you getting anything out of the sites, like business, or is it all just for personal satisfaction?

I can see the uses of websites. I have used them for information that has been unreal, but I have not seen the light for a small lawn and landscape company to be able to be acessed from around the world, unless you were selling lawn products to ship to them in another place.

I have had software for almost four years now (Adobe Pagemill). I bought it when It first came out. Now it is of course out dated and for 1/4 the price I paid for it I can get newer WYSIWYG software to do it, but is it worth it.

Or would it be like all my other computer stuff, just a hobbie, so I can say I have a website?

6. KirbysLawn

Shookum, to give a short answer, yes I gain a lot of business from my web site. I have gained customers as far away as Cleveland Ohio. How? A customer who was looking to move down here was wanting to secure a lawn service to maintain their new lawn until they finally moved. They went to yahoo.com and searched "lawn maintenance charlotte" and I was the only company to show up.

I have gained alot of business from aeration, estimated last years at around $7000. So yep, my site has paid for itself several times over.

Ray

7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Kirby good answer and to add one more we maintain commercial companys and large condominiums and townhouses for realestate management co. and on all our proposals and letter heads we adverties our web site and found out of 90% of bids we submit they look at web site to see services offered and general knoledge of our company. We have a hit meter on our web site with addresses that have logged into site we are at 1899 hits in 3 months and have not registered with yahoo and other search engines that will triple that number. Being the computer age we had to keep up with the time and the time is for this. If you do residential it will help some but for commercial market its a given to expand your business to the public.

8. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

In my area it's supposed to be silicon valley east, AOl right down the road, lots of techies here. I'm going to do a job next week for a guy my age retired from aol(dam#). So in my area i would bet it's gonna be way worth it, even if only helps a little at first i want to learn some of this stuff anyway?!

9. LiVe2

LiVe2 LawnSite Member

10. KirbysLawn

Not anymore. Network Solutions is who I registered my first domain names with @ $35 a year. The monopoly is over and there are many companies that you can register through. I use Nicforce now at $15, not $35 a year, if it was going through Network Solutions I would have paid $35.