domoed a plugr pl850. not too impressed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grass disaster, Sep 14, 2007.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

it's only pulling about 1/2 in plugs. the ground is a little on the dry side but i was expecting better results.

it seems to drive fine. somewhat hard to turn/control.

it's got the honda motor and it stalled a couple times and seems a little under powered.

is this all i should expect for plugs. do the different models pull better plugs?

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I think rodfather has one and he likes it.

I have a 600H. In my opinion, it's the best aerator out there for well watered lawns. It's one of the worst out there for dried out ground. Unfortunately, we've had a wicked drought this year.:confused:

3. grass disaster

so i have to wait till it rains? cause im not planning on telling customers to water.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Mine pulls great plugs. Used it twice the other day with excellent results. I don't run it at full power all the time cause sometimes I like to hold back on it letting it really till up the turf. If you are only getting 1/2" plugs, the ground is either way to dry or the tines need to be replaced.

When I am finished with mine, it looks like a bunch of geese crapped all over the lawn. :laugh:

5. grass disaster

anyone else not too impressed?

i have a LCO that i do business with. he is bringing over his steiner with a 48" aerator. i'm going to campare it to that.

6. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing pulls plugs like a ryan lawnair 28....in lawns....trees....ashfalt...concrete..sprinkler pipe

7. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

Now thats some funny stuff:laugh:

8. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just bought a Plugr 850. The crews like it fine but the ground must be moist, as with most aerators. We also have a Ryan Lawnaire V and a Classen Split Drive. If the ground is soft the Plugr is the best. Otherwise, the other machines, especially the Classen, will pull better plugs. As far as ease of use..the Plugr is much easier on the body...MUCH!!

9. grass disaster

as far as ease of use.....

i had another LCO stop by with his http://www.steinerturf.com/products/tractors/430_max/

with the front mount aerator with down pressure. this thing was about as easy as you can get on the body. it pulled excelent plugs in the hard ground.

10. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

I am going to buy an 850 this week. Well after I demo one that is. Right now the dealer has it on order and it should be here this week. Right now i am going off pure reviews from lawnsite.