Don’t discard those old blades!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric D, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

I stopped in the gas station today. The guy on the other side of the pump was gassing his truck, fuel cans, and his obviously well used Scag Tiger. I casually asked how he liked his Tiger. His replied, “Oh it is a great machine. I’ve got well over 2500 hours on it!” Well, I could believe that, but what I really found interesting, on his trailer, someone used old blades to help support the cross area on the ramp where the expanded metal once was. Someone had welded them in place. I would have never thought of this as a fix, but it worked! I think the trailer had more then few hours on it. Wish I had a camera to catch a photo of it.

Question, do you have any unique use of worn-out lawn equipment parts rather then just throwing them away?

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a spit and bubble gum fix to me. Kinda hillbillish. LOL

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

That'd make it one heavy arse ramp gate IMO

4. blublazes

blublazes LawnSite Member

I agree

Paul

5. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Tehahaha, WOW people will do anything now a days.

6. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

When you go through 20-30 blades a year you find a lot of uses for the old ones. Call it what you want but why buy new steel for fabricating when an old lawnmower blade will do?
    What do you guys do with old blades?

Scott

7. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

they go straight in the dumpster who needs a bunch of useless crap laying around!

8. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

Wow you must run a bunch of mowers or mow a bunch of rocks

9. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Florida I'm only getting 50-60 hrs out of a set and it's due to the sand, not rocks.

10. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I'd think recycling as scrap metal would be the best solution. Why throw them away when they could be melted down and used again?