Don´t you hate when people bid too low??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Catos, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Catos

Catos LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I didn´t even attempt to put a bid in for these schools in our area, because I heard the low bid for the schools was about $150-$180 cut per school for a job that was about $400-$500 a cut per school except maybe one or two. If we as a whole would go up on our prices we could make a considerable amount of more money.

2. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

It is a cycle...there are always those guys that work for nothing to do these jobs. Eventually...at least around here...they put themselves out of work...and then some new guys come around and do the same thing. Year after year after year.

3. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I agree whole heartedly! My wife had me look at the schools here where I live, so I did it just for couriosity. There was 3 schools, the HS and two middle schools. From April - Oct. The high bid was $124k but the low bid and winner was $30k. INSANE! I just got word that I lost a bid on a 24 acre property with about 200 yards of mulch. Only 3 companies were invited to bid. I don't know much about the company that got it, but I heard he works for a neighboring county's sherrif dept. and does it on the side. My bid was around $87k and the other bid was from TGLC and it was right in line with mine. I bet the guy got it for $50k..... lowballers are killing me!

4. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

sixty acres, my bid 2,100 per week the winner 725 per week :dizzy:

5. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn LawnSite Member

Goverment Bid!!!!! lowest wins thats the way it is!!!!!!! the thing about is it doesnt have to look good !! theres a couple of companys around here that get county and state contracts and they are big companys and it looks like sh4T SO bid low

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

And with the right equipment that is only 10-12 hours of work
    at $60- $72.50 per hour.

Not exactly lowballing..................
    It's all in the equipment even though some folks on here believe "equipment doesn't make a dime " for them.................

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Amen dvmcmrhp52 - I have the right equipment, and would bid $1200-$1500 depending on trimming or special circumstances. One machine - 8-10 hrs.

It is all in getting the right equipment to fit the program. I have been saying that on this site for a long time - Usually meets with skepticism and or deaf ears.
    Thanks Brad

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It gets a little old listening to people complain about so called lowballers when the reality is that they are trying to compete against people that have equipment designed for the job at hand as you have stated.

If you run 60" machines, go after work that suits them, 72" machines do likewise. Don't try to take on work meant for 108" machines when all you have is a 48" walk behind.

Nothing wrong with owning any particular size piece of equipment, you just need to know the market that you can serve.

9. SLOWACE

SLOWACE LawnSite Member

why don't you guys just face it its the lowballers kicking you out or making you alot smaller you guys want to buy the newest mower on the market every year and make your unknowing customers pay for it sick of hearing you guys complain about lowballers

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Around here if you go up to prices in that range, the people don't even have to sharpen their pencil to figure out is is cheaper to mow it themselves, and save biggie bucks.