1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Donald Trump's 7 Rules of Success

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Team Gopher, May 3, 2004.

1. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

These rules are taken from our Gopher-preneur book of the month, May '04

Trump: The Art of the Deal

1. You have to be born with enough brainpower.

2. Once you have that, you have to love what you are doing. I've never seen anyone succeed who didn't love what they were doing.

3. You cannot stop. If there is a concrete wall in front of you, you have to go through it. You can never, ever give up or even think in terms of giving up.

4. Confidence is a very important thing. But confidence isn't something you develop by saying "I'm going to do this or that." You really have to believe it.

5. I love pitting people against each other. My whole life is based on that. It brings out the best in people and the worst in people. If the worst comes out, you don't want them working for you.

6. You have to remain cool under fire and let the criticism roll off you. Good leaders handle conflict easily and bad ones are eaten up by it.

7. You must work well with others and be loyal to your team. Disloyalty is the worst of all traits. I seldom use the words "You're Fired!" in business, unless somebody is really scum and stole from me.
  2. TheWoodser

TheWoodser LawnSite Member

Rule One was meant to be broken.

Do you honestly believe that Bill Gates could have the knowledge to program all of that software on his own? NO,

The brainpower you need is the smarts to know what you know, Know what you don't know, and Know the differance.

Then hire someone that knows what you don't know.
  3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Reply to The Woodster

I think you are right in knowing what you do and don't know, but I think that is exactly what Trump is referring to. He doesn't mean you have to know how to do everything, but have enough brainpower to determine when it is wiser to do it yourself, or outsource it. I think that is very key.

Good post Gopher, thanks for the points to think about.
  4. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck LawnSite Member

[The brainpower you need is the smarts to know what you know, Know what you don't know, and Know the differance.]

This reminds me of something I read about Coach Paul Bryant when he was at Alabama. He said he didn't see the point in hiring any assistant coach that didn't know more about football than he did. The brainpower Trump speaks of is surrounding yourself with excellence. If you're going to grow your business you've got to build a good team. This includes all of your employees and outside influences such as your attorney, accountant, suppliers, and any other stakeholders.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Rule #8 Get a good hair piece
  6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmm... this I struggle with. I like what I do but I don't think I love it. I do love to do a good job though... and I love to look back on a job saying to myself "dang.. that looks good!". Does that count? If I don't love it... does that mean I cannot succeed?
  7. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

#2 is one I totally agree with and it's the reason I started a landscaping business last year.For nearly 20 years I worked at a job that I strongly disliked and, even though I made a nice living,had a nice home and all of the "toys" that i wanted,I was miserable and dreaded going to work in the morning.I once read that in order to discover your ideal career find out what it is you most enjoy doing in your spare time,then devise a way to get paid for it. So...I think it's possible to do pretty well even if you despise your job but to be REALLY successful and happy you have to enjoy what you're doing for a living,IMHO.
  8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Its all about risk and how much we are prepared risk to reach a certain return. The banks could have pulled the pin on trump a few times and where would he be now.