Donaldson air filter kit UPGRADE for Kohler 25 hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Pastures, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2000 Toro Z-Master with the 25 Hp Kohler motor.
    I see that the 2001 and 2002 models come with the Donaldson 2 stage air filtration system. I'd like to upgrade to this new unit. I got some part #'s from Toro and it looks like retail price on the fliter kit and the filter minder is going to be about $300.00. Does anyone know of a place to get these parts at less that full retail cost? I'm not paying $300 for a filter kit, I dont care how good it it. I'm not currently having problems with the Kohler unit, just wanting to avoid any future problems. This obviously is a better unit.

Part #'s are
    99-4663 Filter kit
    99-4664 Filter minder kit

Thanks for the help.
  2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they still use the Nelson air filter system rather than a Donaldson? I am assuming it's the same one I bought for my Yazoo/Kees with the same engine back in 2000. I bought it when it was stock on the 26 EFI and not much else. Back then you had to buy the elbow and filter kit in two pieces. I guess they have started marketing it together now.

Well anyway, I paid $160 for the two pieces back then, so I wouldn't doubt they've gone up in price since. But $300 seems like a Toro price, check the Kohler catalog for a cheaper price.

The part numbers I bought were 24 743 21 (the elbow) and 24 743 22 ( filter assembly) I purchased the Minder thing later on so you have to add that in if you really want it.

P.S. Anyone else reading this with other Kohler engine models, keep in mind you may need a different elbow kit, that one is for the 25.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Who's part numbers are those. The Kholer site doesn't list them and the Nelson air site is way confusing. Help please.

4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

oops, Scott...correction!

i have them for $220 delivered with filter minder, canister, elbows and gaskets!

let me know....

5. captdevo

6. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

My local dealer is charging $200 for it installed!
  7. Those part numbers are not Kohler .

Kohlers are 24 743 22-S NELSON air cleaner

24 743 20-S for CH18-20
    24 743 25-S for CH22
    24 743 21-S for CH25

Need #1 and one of the #2's

Captdevo's prices are great on this part.

The filter minder don't bother getting. Waste of money!!

BTW if this filter was $500 it would be weel worth it.

It extends life to your engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You will have one good thing if you put that on a Kohler 25.

You may be able to transfer it to a different engine at a sooner or later date and use the 25 if you buy a boat.
  9. captdevo

I also have enginaire severe duty filter systems $200 delivered!!! these have a turbinator pre-cleaner instead of just a rain cap like kohlers'

10. Here is one for a vert.

nelson air cleaner.jpg