Donaldson air filter problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andrew's Lawn Maintenance, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

I am tired of my dealer giving me after market pre filters for my mower. I want to get the original pre filter because the one that came with the mower when I bought it lasted 150 hrs! The oregon air filter is already dirty and it only has 15 hrs on it! tired of this crap!:cry: Please help if you know of a non after market pre filter. Thanks:usflag:

2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

A dirty filter is a good sign . Its full of dirt it kept out of your engine. Are you posssibly operating in dustier conditions?

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Wait a minute, just because its an aftermarket filter doesnt mean it will get diry sooner! This is like having your car painted with non OEM paint and claiming it gets dirty faster!

4. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

donaldson is one of the best filters there is.

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a filter minder on your Donaldson cannister to show you when the filter needs changing? I have talked with Donaldson on their filters and their response was, "never try to clean a Donaldson filter, they filter best when they get a full coat of dust over the element and we suggest changing them once a year unless you have a filter minder and it will tell you when it needs changing".

6. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

With my knowledge of engines i find their opinion hard to believe. In no way should a dirtier filter work better than a clean filter.

7. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

What is the train of thought on this? A dusty filter stops more dust from getting into the engine?:confused:

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

9. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

K&N has made millions of dollars claiming otherwise.

10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

That would mean it allows finer particles to get through. Its the same idea behind a K&N air filter. Sure they may breathe better but what goes through eats your rings up. I would really love to sit down with their engineers and have a chat with them about that. I really think that is the absolutely most assanine thing a company could come up with about its product.