Donaldson air filter question

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Mowingman, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

In a post earlier today, someone stated the the Hustler machines equiped with the 2 element Donaldson air filter, are shipped with only an outer filter element. And, furthermore, his dealer said that the inner element was not necessary. Surely, this is not true!
    Could you set us straight on this.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Depending on the engine option on the mower, a inner filter will could actually make the unit run worse. (you can thank our government and the CARB program for that, the engine MFG's have to run these engines pretty lean to meet regulations)
    We do offer the filter as a part if the customer wants to install it.
    Unlike other MFG's, our filter system is mounted nice and high up on the unit, not down low and in the thick heavy dusty environment.
    Being higher up we are avoiding a large amount of the dirty air, that would enter the system.
    The Donaldson system we use can be used with 1 or 2 filters, all of our air filtration systems are approved by the engine MFG's, we do not install a engine on any of our products with out the MFG putting there blessing on the entire installation.
    With all that being said, we have used the single filter for over 3 years now, and I have never heard of a failure on a engine due to bad filtration.

Pj

3. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Another side note here.
    The Donaldson system we use could have up to 3 elements in it.
    There is a foam outer element for some skid steer applications.
    So to say this is a 2 element system, would not be right.

Pj

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i was wondering the same thing. our older 25 kawi super z has just a filter, while our new 27 l.c. kawi has a pre filter on it....

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Your air filtration system on your 27hp liquid cooled mower is supplied by Kawasaki, it is specific for that engine.

Pj

6. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Dealer sold me the inner filter for my 25hp Kaw. I installed it and the engine would not start. Took it out and the engine runs fine. So I guess you don't need the inner filter on the 25hp kaw.

7. SnapperfanRedmaxman

SnapperfanRedmaxman LawnSite Member

Would you please list all three of these element part numbers?

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I do not have them here with me now, I will get them and post them Monday.